Kimi Raikkonen would ignore any boycott over F1 tyres
Kimi Raikkonen says he has no intention of boycotting the German Grand Prix, despite the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association’s threat.
The Formula 1 drivers’ body, of which Raikkonen is not a member, met on Thursday and issued a statement saying drivers would withdraw from the race if there were similar tyre problems to those suffered in the British Grand Prix.
Raikkonen, who was one of the drivers who withdrew from the 2005 United States Grand Prix following the tyre drama, says he will race on Sunday regardless of what happens.
“I haven’t seen it, I heard,” said Raikkonen of the GPDA statement. “I am sure it is not going to happen anyhow.
“I was once involved in 2005 and funnily enough there were some guys that didn’t stop and they drove, so for sure I will race whatever happens this time.”
When asked if he had been invited to the GPDA meeting, the Lotus driver said: “Yes. But I am not part of it, sometimes I go – but I hear about it as quickly as you.”
Raikkonen said he had no fears about the tyres, even before Pirelli introduced the revised ones for this weekend.
The Finn agreed with Pirelli that other teams were using the tyres wrong.
“I would race. The problems are not just because of the tyres – there can be a lot of influence in why it has happened.
“We haven’t had a single problem all year, so I have no feeling. [Motor racing] is dangerous anyhow, anything can happen.
“The reason why they exploded was that the teams were using them wrong. I am fine with it.”