We talk about players, we talk about clubs and we talk about goals. But today, I will list the most powerful names in football currently. Here they are:
1. Roman Abramovich: One of the most arrogant and criticised figures in football, the Russian billionaire and the owner of the Chelsea F.C., Roman Abramovich can certainly turn heads. Known for his adamant behaviour and axing his managers consistently, he can surely make people nervy with his stern look and giant pile of money stocked within his vaults. One of the most interesting things about Abramovich’s absurd decisions and plans is that they usually work pretty well. He is the reason behind Chelsea’s rise in Europe. He totally changed the game in England when he bought Chelsea in 2003 and started spending huge amount of money in order to make Chelsea one of the world’s best.
Well, he definitely succeeded in doing that.
2. Jorge Mendes: Commonly known as the “Super Agent”, Mendes certainly qualifies to be one of the string-holders in European Football. He is the agent of Cristiano Ronaldo, Jose Mourinho, Falcao, Pepe, Nani, Di Maria, Fabio Coentrao and many other superstars. He can make a player’s career and certainly can take it away if he wants. He has strong connections with the biggest clubs including Madrid and United. He is, what you can call, the perfect businessmen at present. His power can be illustrated in his own words – “Every player waits for a Jorge Mendes to come and turn his life into heaven”.
3. Florentino Perez: He is the man who changed the ways of football. Before he became the Real Madrid President, nobody knew how to sell football with such brilliant ideas. He converted Real Madrid, from just a great football club, into a global brand which made Madrid one of the most popular clubs worldwide. He is the reason behind the Los Galacticos era of Madrid. He paid huge money to bring in the best players of the world into his team – Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, etc. When he came back to reigns in 2009, he again started his policy by buying Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Xabi Alonso for a staggering 200 million. He certainly doesn’t shy off from spending piles of money to make Madrid the best football club in the world.
4. Sheikh Mansour: Sheikh Mansour is the billionaire owner of Manchester City. His power comes in a slightly different form to most of the others on this list. His strength is pure spending power. Having already assembled the most expensive team ever at Manchester City, he got the Premier League title. The man can buy anything he wants, and not just on the field. His part in Etihad Airways, official or not, has led to a huge sponsorship deal for Manchester City.
5. David Beckham: He is the only current player to feature on the list. His appeal is not just as a player, but as a brand. As American readers know, Beckham can have a huge effect on the game and he uses that to his advantage. Beckham can demand whatever he wants from a club and chances are he will get it. His value and appeal can not just help improve the standing of a team, but can improve the standing of the sport within an entire nation. David Beckham is the most powerful player in world football.Published 23 Jan 2013, 22:22 IST