Lazio's sporting director reveals the club rejected a €50 million offer for Felipe Anderson from Manchester United
In the wake of recent rumours that indicate Manchester United might try to buy the Lazio midfielder Felipe Anderson, the Italian club’s sporting director has revealed that they did receive and reject a €50 million offer for the Brazilian in August from the English club.
Igli Tare who is the director of sport for Lazio, the Serie A side said they are willing to look into every single offer that comes for the midfielder but confirmed that they are yet to receive contract offers from United in the winter transfer window. Back in October, the Brazilian’s representatives declined the rumours which linked Anderson with a move to Old Trafford. Before Lazio’s game against Fiorentina on Saturday Tare said,
"So far we haven't received anything from Manchester United. He is going through a negative period of form and he knows that, we talked a great deal. He has to find his calm, he is a player who is now well-known and feared. He has what it takes to emerge from this negative moment.”
Tare said they have turned down offers not only from Manchester United but also from other big clubs,
"We turned down a €50m offer from Manchester United on Aug. 27 and nothing has changed since then, because if he finds consistency, then he's worth much more. We also resisted bigger offers than that, but we have targets to achieve."
Anderson came on as a substitute in yesterday’s game against Fiorentina and netted the third goal for the Biancocelesti thus giving his team a decisive lead. Lazio won 3-1, denying Fiorentina their chance to go top of the league.
Anderson himself is not sure about what the end of January has in store for him. But he wants to concentrate on his performance right now. He is not going through a particularly bright moment of his career as he has scored only four times in his 18 appearances for Lazio but has failed to score since the 25th of October. It was only last month that reports claimed that United are preparing a £45m (£33.85m) offer for the Brazilian international. Anderson told Sky Sports Italia,
"My future? I don't know if I'll stay in January, I'm focused only on my work because I don't live a good moment. I don't know what happens.”
Van Gaal admits that United can sign players in the January window
Before United’s FA Cup match against Sheffield United which the Red Devils won 1-0, Louis Van Gaal said that United might go for new signings in the January transfer window, before that they have to assess the present situation in the club and they have to know if additions need to be made to the squad to make improvements.
"If I and the coaches feel that something can be done to improve the current squad then that is something we will look at if the opportunity does arise,” LVG said.