Create
Notifications
Favorites Edit
Advertisement

Former Manchester United star Tom Cleverley threatened by armed robbers in his mansion

ANALYST
News
750   //    07 Oct 2015, 18:42 IST
Tom Cleverley joined Everton from Aston Villa during the summer transfer window

Everton midfielder Tom Cleverley and his family were threatened with baseball bats at his £3.5million mansion, according to BBC News. The raid took place in Hale Barns, Greater Manchester at about 20:00 BST on Friday just two days before Everton hosted Liverpool in the Merseyside derby.

The former Manchester United player along with his wife and young daughter were targeted by armed robbers as they reportedly broke their way in. The thugs managed to nick tens of thousands worth of designer gear and disappeared from the scene of crime driving away in a Range Rover.

Cleverley and his family were confronted by intruders wielding a baseball bat. The men are reported to have arrived just after nightfall and threatened the couple to hand over their luxury items to them.

The couple watched in fear as the raiders got away with a  £15,000 Cartier bracelet, an Audemars Piguet watch worth £50,000 and a £10,000 Hermes Birkin handbag. Not only did the offenders rob the couple’s luxury items, they drove away with a Range Rover which has been valued at around £100,000.

“Tom and Georgina weren’t physically hurt but it was a horrific ordeal for them – especially as their little girl was with them.” A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said in an interview.

“The only thing in their minds was protecting her. This was a very, very nasty incident and the couple have been shaken beyond belief. At around 8pm on Friday 2 October 2015, police were called to an address in Hale Barns following a report of a break-in.

"Officers attended and discovered a man, a woman and an infant who had been the victims of an aggravated burglary. None of the victims were injured. An investigation was subsequently launched and is on-going."

Roberto Martinez gives the latest update on Cleverley’s injury

Roberto Martinez and his Everton side drew 1-1 against Liverpool in the Merseyside derby on Sunday

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed that his midfielder Cleverley could return in six weeks after injuring his ankle against Tottenham last month, talkSPORT reports. The England international had to be taken off the pitch during his team’s goalless draw at White Hart Lane.

Advertisement

However, the Toffees’ manager is relieved that his player damaged a minor ligament and escaped from a fracture.

“It is hard to tell how long he will be out,” the Spaniard said. 

“With ligament damage you could expect six to eight weeks but knowing how strong and fit Tom is we're looking at six weeks. The scans revealed it was no fracture and it was only ligament damage and although it will be a long period it is not as bad as feared.” 

Tags:
Advertisement