La Liga News: Malaga sign ex-Barcelona forward Sandro
Sandro joined Barcelona's youth team in 2009.
Malaga have completed the signing of former Barcelona forward Sandro Ramirez on a three-year deal. Sandro joined Barcelona’s youth system in 2009 when current Manchester City Boss Pep Guardiola was in charge.
Juande Ramos’s Malaga signed the forward for a free transfer after the forward was released by Barcelona at the end of last season. He becomes Malaga’s first signing of the season as they also look to wrap up the loan signing of Real Madrid defender Diego Llorente.
A club statement said: “The Canarian forward Sandro Ramirez Castillo, formerly of Barcelona, is now a Malaga player for the next three seasons.” The Spain Under-21 international has had an illustrious start to his career after securing two La Liga titles, a Champions League trophy, and two Copa del Rays.
Also Read: Malaga confirm Juande Ramos as new coach
The 20-year-old forward scored only three goals for Barcelona last season, with all of them coming in their Copa del Ray campaign.
The former Barcelona forward was linked to several Premier League clubs including the like of Tottenham Hotspur and Crystal Palace after Barcelona’s sporting director Robert Fernandez said: “There was a date, May 1, a limit to extending his contract for one year, but we thought the fairest thing to do was to open the door.”
The forward will start his pre-season with the La Rosaleda from tomorrow under the strict orders of Ramos. The Andalusians hope to present Sandro and Llorente to the crowd together.
Barcelona have had an impressive transfer season so far as they completed the signing of former Valencia defender Samuel Umtiti, who is currently playing for France in the Euro 2016 campaign, where the face Portugal in the finals.
Barcelona have also tied down their star Brazilian player Neymar Jr. to a new five-year contract, successfully chasing away the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United, and Manchester City, who were all too keen to secure a move for the Brazilian.
Barcelona have revealed that their star right-back Daniel Alves has left the club to join Serie A champions Juventus, ending an eight-year spell with the Catalan giants. There are also reports of recently convicted Lionel Messi’s father holding a private meet with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovic in his private yacht.
Barcelona are also understood to have been keen in signing Chelsea fullback Cesar Azpilicueta in an €18 million move to fill in the void left by the departure of Dani Alves. Azpilicueta was one of the only players who managed to have a decent season, after the Chelsea ship sunk, with Jose Mourinho having to lose his job.
For a quick wrap-up of all the confirmed transfers, click here.