Barcelona striker Luis Suarez has hit back at critics who blamed Neymar for Barcelona’s slump in form. Barcelona were back at their devastating best against Deportivo, winning 8-0 against their opponents, with Luis Suarez scoring 4 goals and assisting 3 others.
Suarez insisted however, that the credit or criticism for a victory or defeat should go the whole team and not any individual player.
"When things are going badly we all take responsibility," he said at a charity event. "Over the past few days one person has been blamed but that's not the way it is. We're not machines; every player goes through a bad patch and it hurts that Neymar has been blamed.
"When we were winning nobody said that only Ney was winning. It's about the team. He has feelings and it wasn't fair to blame him, but one thing in his favour is that he always fights and never lets his head drop.
"We [the front three] are aware of our importance to the team but nobody is untouchable and no-one should be responsible on his own when things are going wrong."
Suarez privileged to overtake Ronaldo
Barcelona striker Luis Suarez said he felt “privileged” after scoring four goals against Deportivo La Coruna to move ahead of Brazilian Ronaldo’s tally of 48 goals in a season for the club.
The Uruguayan, who moved on to 49 goals in 48 games in the campaign, inspired Barca to an 8-0 rout of Deportivo, ending a run of four games without a league win and reigniting their bid to retain the La Liga title.
“I feel privileged and proud to overtake Ronaldo for what he did for Barca and in world football, it’s a privilege to overtake a football great like him,” Suarez said on Thursday.
The Uruguayan said it was important to get back to winning ways against Deportivo after Barca suffered three consecutive league defeats for the first time since 2003, allowing Atletico Madrid to draw level on points with them and Real Madrid to move one behind.
“We were really keen to win as we had gone many games without winning, we are human and it hurts when you lose, but we got the win and we were superior so we feel more relaxed now,”
Earlier on Thursday, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu unveiled plans for the redevelopment of the club's Nou Camp stadium. The project, designed by a Japanese firm, will increase the ground’s capacity from 99,000 to 105,000 spectators and install a roof. Redevelopment is set to begin in 2017 and finish in 2021, with the bulk of the work taking place in the off season to avoiding affecting Barcelona’s home games.
“A club like ours needs the best stadium, we all win with the new Nou Camp,” Bartomeu said.Published 22 Apr 2016, 10:58 IST