Records created or broken by Manchester United
Manchester United football team is in a state of disarray after a disastrous 2013-14 campaign which saw them finish 7th in the league and out of Champions league contention for the next season. But this club is still one of the biggest clubs in the world with arguably the biggest fan base all around the world. (659 million supporters). It has been home for some of the best football players the world has ever seen.
The club was earlier known as Newton Heath LYR F.C , but was later renamed to Manchester United in 1902. Over the past century, they have grown into one of the biggest cash cows in United Kingdom, and with Alex Ferguson at the helm the trophies kept on coming. They hold some of the biggest records in club football.
- They have not been out of top tier since 1975, and have never gone below the second tier.
- They became the first English club to enter the European Cup in 1956.
- The club currently holds the record for most top-division titles, with 20.
- They have the most number of FA Cups with 11 (joint with Arsenal) , and the most number of FA cup final appearances with 18.
- They became the first English team to win the European Cup in 1968.
- The most successful team in the Community Shield competition is Manchester United (16 outright wins, 4 shared)
- The club's record appearance maker is Ryan Giggs, who has made more than 950 appearances since his debut in 1991, and the club's record goalscorer is Bobby Charlton, who scored 249 goals in 758 games between 1956 and 1973.
Here are the Manchester United records set by its players.
- Youngest first-team player: David Gaskell – 16 years, 19 days (1956)
- Oldest first-team player: Billy Meredith – 46 years, 281 days (1921)
- Shortest appearance: 11 seconds – Chris Smalling v Norwich City, 2012
- Most goals in a season in all competitions: 46 – Denis Law, 1963–64
- Most League goals in a season: 32 – Dennis Viollet, Division 1, 1959–60
- Most goals scored in a match: 6
Harold Halse v Swindon Town, 25 September 1911
George Best v Northampton Town, 7 February 1970
7. Fastest goal: 15 seconds – Ryan Giggs v Southampton, Premier League, 18 November 1995
8. Most hat-tricks: 18 – Denis Law (3 November 1962 – 17 April 1971)
- Manchester United's record signing is Juan Mata, who signed for the club from Chelsea for £37.1 million in January 2014.
- The club's record sale was Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80 million.
Here are some other United records:
- Record win: 10–0 v Anderlecht, European Cup Preliminary Round, second leg, 26 September 1956.
- Record defeat: 0–7
v Blackburn Rovers, First Division, 10 April 1926
v Aston Villa, First Division, 27 December 1930
v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Second Division, 26 December 1931
- Longest unbeaten run (all major competitions): 45 matches, 26 December 1998 to 3 October 1999.
- Most wins in a league season: 28 – 1905–06, 1956–57, 1999–2000, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2012–13
- Highest home attendance: 83,260 v Arsenal at Maine Road,[E] First Division, 17 January 1948
- Highest home attendance at Old Trafford: 76,098 v Blackburn Rovers, 31 March 2007
- Highest away attendance: 135,000 v Real Madrid, European Cup, 11 April 1957
Manchester United has always been at the forefront of club football in the United Kingdom. For years they have led the way with their youth (class of 92), scouting, transfers and cup wins. Here’s hoping they would rise once again to be at the helm of England and Europe once again.