Palmeiras are set to play Athletico Paranaense at the Allianz Parque on Sunday in the Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A.
Palmeiras come into this game on the back of a 3-0 win over Francisco Arce's Cerro Porteno in the first leg of the round of 16 of the Copa Libertadores. A second-half brace from attacker Rony and a goal from centre-back Murilo Cerqueira secured the win for Abel Ferreira's Palmeiras.
Athletico Paranaense, on the other hand, beat Libertad 2-1 in the first leg of the round of 16 of the Copa Libertadores. First-half goals from young forward Vitor Roque and Colombian centre-back Nicolas Hernandez sealed the deal for Luiz Felipe Scolari's Athletico Paranaense. Paraguay international Hector Villalba scored the goal for Libertad.
Palmeiras vs Athletico Paranaense Head-to-Head and Key Numbers
- In 32 head-to-head encounters between the two sides, Palmeiras hold the clear advantage. They have won 17 games.
- Athletico Paranaense have won five games, while the other 10 have ended in draws.
- For Palmeiras, former Athletico Paranaense forward Rony has registered seven league goals this season in the league.
- Paraguayan centre-back Gustavo Gomez has been crucial in the opposition box; he has six league goals for Palmeiras.
- For Athletico Paranaense, Uruguay international David Terans has registered five league goals.
Palmeiras vs Athletico Paranaense Prediction
Palmeiras are top of the league table, three points ahead of second-placed Corinthians. They have won four of their last five league games, and will be confident heading into this game. They have lost only one game in the league so far, and players like Rony and Gustavo Gomez have been crucial.
Attacker Gustavo Scarpa has been an important player for Palmeiras in recent years, and he could prove to be important against Athletico Paranaense.
Athletico Paranaense, on the other hand, are third in the league, five points behind Palmeiras. They have won three of their last five league games. Uruguayan attacker David Terans has enjoyed some good performances so far. Colombian right-back Luis Manuel Orejuela has produced some good moments too, but has not been a consistent feature in the first-team for Athletico Paranaense.
A close match is on the cards, with both teams in good form. A draw seems to be an ideal result.
Prediction: Palmeiras 1-1 Athletico Paranaense
Palmeiras vs Athletico Paranaense Betting Tips
Tip 1: Result - Draw
Tip 2: Game to have over 2.5 goals - No
Tip 3: Palmeiras to score first - Yes