There’s a very slim chance that you’ve heard the name of the club mentioned above, and I don’t blame you. They aren’t really that exciting, so for a start – it’s a club that now plays in the English Championship.
Around 28 years have passed since BHA last played in the first division – their biggest achievement is reaching the 1983 FA Cup final in which they lost to Manchester United (2-2 first leg, 0- 4 second leg).
Last season in the championship, Brighton & Hove Albion finished 10th.
But currently, they are sitting top of the championship with 8 matches done (I know its only 8 games!), but the way they are playing, they are probably a lock-on to get into the premiership next year.
So why the sudden rise?
- Has a middle-eastern outfit bought the club and started spending without any limits ?
- Did their youth academy just turn to a youth academy like the one Barcelona have ?
- Did they appoint Pep Guardiola as their new coach ?
The answer is a big “NO”.
- They don’t have a rich owner, they even had their own home stadium few years back.
- Their youth academy isn’t that great.
- Their coach Gus Poyet is one hell of a coach but still he isn’t a Sir Alex or a Mourinho.
The reason for the rise of BHA is not that they are exceptional at something, it is just that they are getting good at everything.
- They have a really good management squad.
- Their have a very good coach in Gus Poyet.
- They have an eye for signing really good cheap players like Wayne Bridge, Tomasz Kuszczak and Vicente etc.
- They know to succeed you must have a really good striker, so they signed Craig Michael-Smith who was last year League One’s Player of the year and a tremendous goal machine.
- They have solid depth in every position.
The model of Brighton & Hove Albion F.C is one based on hard-work in every aspect related to their club. Sure it doesn’t hurt to have an Arab Owner spending as much money as you want, but not everybody gets that, and BHA shows us how to succeed without it.
Plus apparently Snoop Dogg is also an Brighton & Hove Albion FC fan, whoa!
Now who saw this coming.