Write & Earn
Notifications

West Ham striker Diafra Sakho arrested in London

West Ham and Senegal striker had been held on suspicion of domestic violence days before the opening weekend.

West Ham's Diafra Sakho seems to have gotten into trouble 

West Ham striker, Diafro Sakho, was arrested in London on suspicion of domestic assault, reports The Guardian

The striker was arrested three days before facing Arsenal on the opening weekend of the Premier League – a game which his team went to, shockingly, win 0-2. 

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Officers from Tower Hamlets have arrested a man on suspicion of common assault, criminal damage and malicious communication.

“The 25-year-old was arrested on Thursday 6 August at an address in Emerson Park, Hornchurch. He was taken to an east London police station and has been bailed to a date in late September.”

The Senegal international was held by the police on suspicion of attacking a woman – presumably a girlfriend – but was shortly released after a bail was posted to a September date. 

The 6.05 ft striker played a crucial part in his teams' victory over Arsenal last Sunday and will be hopeful of making it to the squad that faces Leicester City this coming weekend. 

He's scored a total of 10 goals in 24 appearances for the Hammers and last summer was touted as one of the bargains of the season considering his talent and that of West Ham's. 

Trouble seems to follow

This is not the first time Diafra Sakho has been in the news for the wrong reasons. 

Last season, just before reporting for International duty, Sakho violated a commitment with national team Senegal and opted to play for West Ham in a Capital One Cup against lower league opposition, Bristol City. 

Senegal's football association contacted FIFA about the same and Sakho was close to receiving a playing ban

A FIFA spokesman said: “We can confirm that disciplinary proceedings were initiated against the player Diafra Sakho and the club West Ham United for a potential violation of the Fifa regulations on the status and transfer of players.”

West Ham, however, issued a statement to clarify themselves of any wrongdoing. They said, “Diafra Sakho and West Ham United vigorously deny that they have acted in breach of Fifa regulations. They regard the proceedings as unfounded and are requesting their dismissal.”

If West Ham lost this particular case – which they didn't – he'd have been banned for a few of the games that were then-upcoming for the London club. 

Fetching more content...