The second season of Star Sports Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) is about to start. Defending champions Jaipur Pink Panthers will be opening their campaign against the team they beat in the final – U Mumba.
The Panthers even topped the league table amassing 54 points from 14 matches with 10 wins. However, the points system in the league is not as straight forward as in other sports.
Let us take a look on how are the teams accumulate the points:
- Each team will be awarded one point for getting every opponent out. The side, which scores an ALL-OUT, shall score two extra points.
- Each team’s score will be incremented by one point for every bonus point awarded.
- If the raider is caught when there are only 3 defenders or less, the defending team gets an additional bonus point. The total points awarded in such an instance are 2. Such tackles are known as ‘Super Tackles’.
- One point shall be awarded to the raider when he crosses the bonus line. If the raider is caught after crossing the bonus line, the raider’s team will also be awarded one point, apart from the defending team getting a point.
Unlike other leagues, the standings for Star Sports Pro Kabaddi are calculated on the basis of the victory margin of each match. So, the points earned and conceded in each match are of prime importance.
- The team that wins the match will be awarded 5 league points and the loser will get 0 points, if the margin of victory is more than 7 points.
- The team that wins the match will score 5 league points and the loser will score 1 point if the margin of victory is 7 or less than 7 points.
- In case of a tie, both the sides will score 3 league points each.
- Teams will be ranked based on points accumulated during the league.
So, after each team has played 14 matches, the table will be formed based on the rules explained above.
In all, 60 matches will be played over a span of 37 days in 8 cities. There will be 7 matches played in each city. The semi-finals and final will be played at NSCI, Mumbai.Published 17 Jul 2015, 18:36 IST