Bangladesh confirms Pakistan tour: officials
KARACHI (AFP) –
Bangladesh have confirmed they will tour Pakistan next month for a short two-match series, becoming the first team to visit the country since a terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan squad in 2009, an official said Saturday.
“We were in constant touch with the BCB officials and they have conveyed to us that the tour is confirmed,”Ashraf told AFP.
“They have also got approval from their board members and we are in touch for the schedule.”
Foreign teams have shunned playing in Pakistan since gunmen opened fire on a convoy in Lahore, killing eight people and leaving seven Sri Lankan players and their assistant coach injured.
The attack pushed Pakistan into a cricket exile as the national team was forced to play their home series at neutral venues in the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand and England.
Ashraf said the best security arrangements will be put in place for the Bangladesh team.
“We will soon co-ordinate with the provincial governments and put in place the best arrangements for the tour and I am pretty confident that the tour will take place in the best possible manner and pave (the) way for more teams to come,” said Ashraf.
Bangladesh earlier this week said they will play a Twenty20 and a one-day on January 12 and 13 respectively, both in Lahore.
The team had agreed to tour Pakistan in April this year but the event was blocked by Dhaka high court.