Reports: BBL outfit Sydney Thunder approach AB de Villiers for the next season
The reports don't come as a surprise after De Villiers accepted that big money offers from T20 leagues around the world are tempting
Sydney Thunder will launch an all-out bid to bring the world’s best batsman, AB de Villiers, to the Big Bash League next season. The Daily Telegraph reports that contact has already been made with de Villiers’ representatives.
Thunder target de Villiers for BB06: THE world’s best batsman could be on his way to the Big Bash next season, with… https://t.co/KX0syyM5J2— Sydney News (@realtimesydney) January 14, 2016
The Thunder have a strong South African association through star all-rounder Jacques Kallis and coach Paddy Upton. The Western Sydney outfit is a perfect fit for a batsman who has demolished bowling attacks around the world as he will have South African company.
With Melbourne Renegades star Chris Gayle facing the axe from Australia next year; de Villiers could become the highest profile full-time player in the competition. The Thunder will need to replenish their ranks for next season with captain Mike Hussey retiring and agreements concerning the futures of Andre Russell and Jacque Kallis yet to be reached.
Several other Big Bash clubs will give the team from Sydney a run for their money to land cricket’s most destructive batsman. It has been stated that de Villiers has previously shown interest in joining rivals the Sydney Sixers.
Uncertain about Test future due to workload: de Villiers
De Villiers is only 31 years old and at the peak of his powers, but yesterday he added fuel to the talks of retirement from Test cricket at the end of South Africa’s series against England.
He has taken over the Proteas Test captaincy after Hashim Amla stepped down from the role, but admitted he is “not sure” if he will remain in the position for any length of time.
Rumours began developing early in the series that de Villiers was considering quitting Test cricket and he admitted there is “a bit of truth” to them.
AB de Villiers said his decision has more to do with the workload on international cricketers.
“For two or three years I’ve been searching for the right answers to play a little less cricket in one way or another, to keep myself fresh and enjoying the game,” he said yesterday.
“Every now and then I find I am not enjoying myself as much as I should be. I’ve been talking to a few people and obviously that’s leaked.
“I’m still very committed to the job — the two Test matches now is all that I am focusing on. There’s a nice big break of six months before we play Test cricket again and lots of things can happen before then. But for now I am as committed as I can be and very hungry to make a success of these two Test matches.”
Big money from T20 competitions tempting: AB
AB also added the financial attraction of T20 competitions was tempting.
“There are big tournaments going on around the world and some of them you can’t ignore because financially they make a huge difference in our lives,’’ de Villiers said.
“But international cricket comes first and one or two things will have to happen in the future in order for that to happen.”