"Did You Know" facts on Sachin Tendulkar
It’s official, the Little master has retired. Even though his retirement has come a little too late, here are 12 facts about Sachin Tendulkar, as the year 2012 draws to a close.
1. In his career, Sachin Tendulkar had been the top ranked batsman in ODIs for a total of 112 matches or 354 days.
2. Sachin Tendulkar was the youngest to top the batting rankings for ODIs – at 8346 days in February 1996.
3. Sachin Tendulkar made it to as high as number 2 in the all-rounders’ table in ODIs in March 1996.
4. Sachin Tendulkar’s ODI career spanned 22 years 91 days, the longest in history. He is the only man to hit more than 2000 fours in ODIs.
5. Sachin Tendulkar is the only man to score more than 3000 runs in ODIs against two opponents (Sri Lanka and Australia).
6. In ICC Cricket World Cups, Sachin Tendulkar has scored the most runs, faced the most balls and hit the most centuries and fifties.
7. Sachin Tendulkar’s nine centuries in 1998 are a record for ODIs in any calendar year.
8. Sachin Tendulkar won a record 62 Player of the Match and 15 Player of the Series awards in ODIs.
9. Sachin Tendulkar played the most ODIs, scored the most runs, faced the most balls and hit the most 100s and 50s.
10. Sachin Tendulkar was the youngest to play in ODIs for India. He played a record 185 consecutive ODIs from 1990 to 1998.
11. Sachin Tendulkar retires at number 28 in the Reliance ICC ODI Rankings for batsmen.
12. Last but not the least, arguably the greatest player ever to embrace the game.