Indian selected 15: Full of surprises
The Indian team comprising of 15 players have been selected for the first and second test against England. While many of the players were expected to make it in the team, the entry of some others has shocked many cricket lovers around the country. Similar to their decisions in the past, the Indian selection committee continued to surprise one and all with their selections. Let’s have a brief look at the selected 15.
1. MS Dhoni – As expected, he retained his captaincy, and will have a huge responsibility to lead the country in a series which is of a prime importance to the side. He will have to regain his Midas’ touch during the series.
2. Virender Sehwag – He will come into the series on the back of a 100 that he scored in the ongoing Ranji tournament. His lack of form has hurt the team, and the hope is for him to start scoring big again.
3. Gautam Gambhir - He will open the batting with Sehwag. He has also remained out of form for quite a few time. He and Sehwag will have lot to prove in this series. I hope they once again start giving India some strong starts.
4. Cheteshwar Pujara – He was an expected entry in the team. I hope he continues from where he left off against Kiwis and in the Ranji Trophy. He will be looking to replace Laxman in the team.
5. Sachin Tendulkar – The God has already proved his form and fitness against Railways in the Ranji Trophy by scoring a prolific century. Hopefully, this will not be his last series, and we get to see more of him.
6. Virat Kohli – He is the man in form with the bat in all forms of the game, and will have a lot prove in order to cement his place as a permanent test player. He must also show a lot more maturity.
7. Ajinkya Rahane – Selected above the likes of Raina and Tiwary, he will have a lot to prove if he gets a chance in either of the matches.
8. Murali Vijay - The reason behind the selection of this man is quite unknown, that too in place of Tiwary, who is in top form these days. Maybe the selectors wanted to keep an extra opener. Lets hope he proves his worth if selected and doesn’t prove costly for the team.
9. Ravi Ashwin – India’s in-form off-spinner has to continue from where he left off against the Aussies and Kiwis. Hope he gets more fifers to his name.
10. Pragyan Ojha – The left-arm-orthodox, who will share the attack with Ashwin, will have to bowl his heart out to maintain his position in the team.
11. Harbhajan Singh – Another surprise from selectors. From nowhere, Bhajji has got included in the test team. He has been out of the team for a while, and his selection might be accounted to the fact that the selectors wanted to bring in more experience to the team against England.
12. Yuvraj Singh – Comeback man. He will be remain under the spotlight for the entire series. His fitness will remain under serious scrutiny. Hope he hits two or three double centuries the way he did in the Duleep trophy.
13. Zaheer Khan – In spite of reported injuries, Zak has retained his position in the team, probably because of the inexperienced fast bowling line up that India has.
14. Ishant Sharma – Coming on the back of some amazing performances in the Duleep trophy, he will have a lot to prove if included in the team. Hope this pace battery finds a new beginning.
15. Umesh Yadav – His inexperience might cost him his place in playing XI, allowing Ishant to be promoted above him. Well, we have to wait till 15th November to find out, because Dhoni is very unpredictable.
Well now it’s on Dhoni to select the best playing XI from these players. I hope we don’t get any surprises from his side as we have got plenty from the selectors already. Well jokes apart, let’s hope that these 15 players prove that their selection in Indian team was not only luck, and come up with something extraordinary.