Rio de Janeiro, Dec 8 Brazil coach Dunga has explained his decision to drop Marcelo from the national team despite the defender's impressive form for Spanish giants Real Madrid.
Marcelo, Brazil's first-choice left-back during this year's World Cup in Brazil, is yet to represent the Selecao since Dunga replaced Luiz Felipe Scolari in July, reports Xinhua.
Instead, the Brazil boss has opted for Filipe Luis, despite the Chelsea player's lack of first-team football this season.
In an interview with O Globo newspaper Sunday, Dunga said the decision was based on a need to reinforce his team's defence after the 1-7 World Cup semifinal loss to Germany.
"How many times did he (Marcelo) go into attack? Twenty. How many goals did he score or set up? None. How many times were we caught out with balls going over our defenders' backs? Three or four," Dunga said.
"You don't have to be a genius. It's not that I don't like players who attack. But you need to score to win. It's not a question of Marcelo, it's everybody. You have to be efficient."
Marcelo has played 13 of a possible 14 La Liga matches for Real Madrid this season and was a key member of Carlo Ancelotti's team that won last year's Champions League.
Dunga also explained why he has resisted calls for Sao Paulo midfielder Paulo Henrique Ganso to return to the national team.
"We observe all players. These days it's very difficult to depend solely on one player. You need to play as a team," Dunga said.
"The best way to make somebody grow is to not say anything. We speak too much. We always talk about the players that aren't in the national team. The player begins to think that he is the best in the world and misunderstood."
Brazil's next matches will be friendlies against France and an undecided opponent in March.
Paul Merson has predicted the results for Chelsea vs Tottenham and other GW 2 fixtures! Click here