Chelsea transfer news: Conte lands Barkley, Carroll could be Morata's back-up and more - 5th January 2018
All the transfer news and updates involving Chelsea
Ross Barkley comes to Stamford Bridge
Everton midfielder Ross Barkley completed a £15m move to Stamford Bridge after undergoing the medical on Friday, confirmed Chelsea Football Club.
Antonio Conte wanted to bring the 24-year-old to Chelsea in August 2017, but the Englishman had turned down the offer back then.
However, Barkley rejected a new deal at Everton and the negotiations between the two clubs resumed once the transfer window re-opened on 1 January.
Barkley, who joined the Merseyside club when he was 11 years old, has made 150 Premier League appearances so far, scoring 21 times since making his debut in 2011.
Conte talked about Barkley in the press-conference ahead of their FA Cup match against Norwich City,
"I think that if there is news, the club will inform you. This is the right way."
"For sure we’re talking about a young player, an English player. He can have good prospects for Chelsea. I think the club decided on this investment also for his contract."
"I think the club decided this investment for his contract, I think it is a good opportunity for the club to buy this player."
"He had a bad injury and has not played for seven months. We have to hope to recover him very quickly and have him for the rest of the season."
"He is very strong physically with great technique. It is important to understand when he can recover from his injury. He has had a long injury with surgery, he’s not played for seven months."
Chelsea to go all-out in a bid to sign Riyad Mahrez
According to The Sun, the Blues are leading the race to sign Riyad Mahrez from Leicester City this January.
The 2015/16 PFA Player of the Year, who has netted eight times and provided seven assists in all competitions this season, was a key contributor to Leicester’s title-winning campaign.
Roma and Manchester United remain interested in the 26-year-old winger but Chelsea are the front-runners to land the Algerian winger, should they agree a fee with the Foxes.
However, Leicester manager Claude Puel has claimed that Mahrez is happy at King Power Stadium.
"I want to keep all of my best players. Riyad is a valuable player in this team," Puel said.
"When I have discussed with him, he’s enjoying his football. He’s a happy player. This is a good thing," he added.
Chelsea make enquiries about West Ham United's Andy Carroll
Reports have emerged in The Sun, suggesting that Chelsea made enquiries about the availability of Andy Carroll and are set to make a move to get the West Ham United striker on loan.
Antonio Conte is desperately in need of a back-up for the centre-forward Alvaro Morata as the Italian manager has not been impressed with Belgian Michy Batshuayi.
Carroll, who joined the Hammers for £15m from Liverpool in 2013, scored two vital goals against West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday.
Carroll, however, has expressed his disappointment after failing to make a single start in December as he needs more playing time to make it to England’s World Cup squad.
"It's been very frustrating. I've been sitting on the bench – it's been tough. I've been wanting to play," Carroll told The Sun.
The 28-year-old, who has endured an injury-hit spell at West Ham, has scored 32 goals in 123 games.