Chelsea Transfer News: Blues to miss out on talented midfielder, faller star may go out on loan and other stories – January 24, 2019
Finally!!!! After weeks of dragging and stories that were neither here nor there, Chelsea has gotten its man. Argentine international striker, Gonzalo Higuain was confirmed as a Blues player yesterday, re-connecting with former manager, Maurizio Sarri.
Fans will be hoping the signing of El Pipita would help lift the goalscoring burden off Eden Hazard and secure the coveted 4th UEFA Champions League spot. The arrival of the 31-year-old on an initial 6-month loan is not expected to be the only arrival as the manager has made it clear that he needs more players.
Without further ado, here’s a look at the latest transfer stories and speculation as it concerns the Blues:
#1 Club may miss out on talented midfielder
Despite having a plethora of midfielders in his squad, Sarri has made it clear that he wants more. The team has struggled with providing goals and support for the attackers.
According to Goal.com, an earlier earmarked talent; Argentine Leonardo Paredes may be moving out of Russian club; Zenit St. Petersburg. However, unlike earlier stories, the player is said to be moving to Paris and PSG, not London and Stamford Bridge.
The 24-year-old had earlier been seen as the perfect replacement for the departed Cesc Fabregas due to the similarities in their play. However, there has been a significant gap in valuation between what Zenit are demanding and what Chelsea is prepared to pay.
While the Blues are said to have put up £27m for the player, PSG is said to have offered £34.9m and are expected to announce the signing shortly.
#2 Frozen-out star on way to Turkey
Victor Moses’ transition from perennial loanee to first-teamer was one of the success stories of the Antonio Conte-era. The ex-Nigerian international played a starring role as a right-wing back as Chelsea swept all aside to win the Premier League in the 2016/2017 season.
His form dropped the following season and following Conte’s departure, he has been shut out of Sarri’s teams. With the former Napoli manager clearly having no plan for him, it seems Moses has decided to find his way out of Stamford Bridge.
According to Goal.com, he is said to be on his way to Turkey to join Super Lig giants, Fenerbache on loan for the rest of the season. It is expected that the loan will be a precursor for a permanent move in the summer unless he can force his way back into Sarri’s thinking.
#3 Premier League giants linked to young starlet
Callum Hudson-Odoi has been in the news all through this transfer window. First, it was a stream of stories linking the young kid to German giants Bayern Munich.
Now, it seems current Premier League leaders, Liverpool have joined the race for his signature. According to a news story in The Metro, the Reds met with the player and his agent earlier this month in a bid to make it happen.
Liverpool has taken youngsters, Dominic Solanke and Rhian Brewster from the Blues in recent years. The Chelsea board will be anxious to ensure that this does not happen again.
It is said that the club has offered the player a 70000-per week deal for him to renew his deal which expires in 2020. However, Hudson-Odoi is refusing to sign as he wants guarantees about regular playing time. It remains to be seen how it will play out.