Does Chelsea really need to spend big this season?
Most of you might be thinking what is wrong with Chelsea? They aren’t active in the market and aren’t going after players. Most of you have also thought by now that if Chelsea doesn’t spend, they are not in for the title race.
Well, that’s not true. What I feel is, even if The Blues don’t spend, they can still compete for the Premier League. But before that let’s look at as to why Chelsea is reluctant to spend.
Lack of players: As we all know, there aren’t many great players available in the market. In today’s world, finding great players is a very difficult task. Earlier, players were available in abundant but the clubs were reluctant to spend. And today, it’s just the opposite.
- High Price: As there are not many players available in the market, it is but obvious that the price of the players are going to rise. The market is crazy at the moment. Some of the players are also overpriced. Best example is Pogba. Manchester United wants him at any cost and are also ready to make him the highest paid player in the history of football. Such madness.
- No European Competition: With Chelsea not participating in any European competition, it really doesn’t make sense to spend lavishly on a single player. It’s not as if The Blues don’t have players, they have plenty. Just need to get the best of the players.
- Bright Kids: This is the perfect season for Chelsea to play the kids in the Premier League and get the best out of them. The kids have won the last 2 UEFA Youth league and 4 out of the last 6 FA Youth cup. Instead of buying players, use them.
- Conte: Last but not the least; having Conte as the manager, Chelsea doesn’t have to worry about not spending. He really knows how to get the best out of the players as it was evident in the Euro 2016.
Now let’s talk about as to why I feel Chelsea still stand a chance to win the League despite not spending lavishly.
- Focus only on the Premier League: Main focus for the Blues this season would be to win the Premier League. With Chelsea out of Champions and Europa league, The Blues have to play only during the weekends. They also don’t have to worry about the fatigue of the players. The Blues don’t have to worry about rotating the players week-in week-out. Other clubs would have the pressure of performing well in the European competition as well. Chelsea has an upper hand in this case.
- Conte: The biggest reason why I think Chelsea stand a good chance to win the League is because of Conte. The Azzurri showed in the Euro 2016 that one doesn’t need big names to play well. He guided his team to the quarter finals, eliminating the defending champions, Spain in the process. He would be pumped up after having a fantastic Euros and would like to continue it in the Premier League.
- Best Youth: Chelsea has the best youth in the country. Having won 4 FA Cups out of the last 6 and 2 UEFA Youth League, just shows how talented the kids are. As the fans keep saying that Chelsea doesn’t use their youth, it is up to Conte to make sure things change this season. The Youth has some really good players like Abraham, Loftus-Cheek, Solanke, etc. The players have some incredible talent and if nurtured properly, they can have a permanent spot in the team.
- Improvement of player: There have been players who have improved in this Euro Championship. The best example is Hazard. The Belgian was a key player in the 2014-15 season, guiding the Blues to the Premier League. The next season, however saw the midfielder drop his form heavily. He played so bad that some of the fans wanted him out of the team. However, Hazard has shown the glimpse of the ‘old Hazard’ that the world knew. He would have to once again play a very important role if his team has to win the League this season.
I don’t mean to say that Chelsea shouldn’t buy players. What I mean to say is that the club should be rational in buying players. The club should focus more on the quality of the player rather than the big name. Like buying Zouma for just £12m was a steal. The club should buy these kinds of players.
I know it won’t be easy for the Blues to win the League by the above mentioned points. It’s easier said than done. Apart from whatever reason I stated above, the Premier League has some of the best managers this season. And each manager would be eager to prove a point.
Like Pep, most of the people think he is not fit for the Premier League and he would want to prove everyone wrong. The transfers made by him shows that the guy means serious business.
Another good example is Jose Mourihno. After having been removed by Chelsea, he would once again want to prove to the world that he is still one of the best.
It’s not only the managers, but the players as well. No doubt the other clubs have better players than Chelsea and also have some good backups, but that doesn’t mean The Boys in Blue can’t compete with them. It’s all about teamwork, dedication and the will to win for the fans and the badge in that jersey.