Fulham vs Manchester United – Lineups, stats, preview and prediction
Fulham vs Manchester United
Nov 2, 2013 at 3pm (UK)
Two teams or rather two struggling teams I must say, with two “struggling” managers will lead their teams out of the tunnel at Craven Cottage this Saturday fully aware that any slip ups might not be well received by their faithful set of fans. While Fulham come into the game after astonishingly losing by a 3-4 margin to Leicester in the Capital One cup, United however won their fixture on Wednesday winning by 4-0 against a tricky Norwich side at Old Trafford.
Martin Jol had an excellent first year in charge leading the Cottagers to a creditable ninth place last campaign but how times change, Fulham are now just on 10 points from 9 games sitting in fourteenth place. Their dismal run of run has continued from the very beginning of this season, something which pundits would have hardly predicted at the start. Jol is fully aware that his job might be on the line and he could face the axe if his side fails to get anything from the viviting and reigning EPL Champions.
United too has withered severe criticism but they have showed sparks of their killer attitude with come back wins against Stoke City, edging Real Sociedad by the thinnest of margins and then steamrolling past Norwich on Wednesday. The Red Devils are now six games unbeaten but their problems are far from over. Defensively they have been very shaky at the back, conceding twelve times this campaign, an equal number against the side they face on Saturday.
Fulham too are on a dismal run of form, with disappointing results stacking up, and fresh injury concerns loom large. Hugo Rodallega might sit out after limping in midweek while Brade Hangeland remains on the sidelines yet again.
Man to watch:
Keep Calm And Pass The Ball To Me – Berbatov
It would be however, baptism by fire for Ex-United man Dimitar Berbatov who faces his old side and will be seriously motivated to knock out a sucker punch to the team he once was considered to be a future marvel. Jol needs to play the Bulgarian as the target man and on his day Berbatov, can turn any match on its head. His pace and finishing will be something that United has to be aware of. The wingers in Kasami and Bryan Ruiz have enough in them to trouble the Red Devils defence and will be eager to provide a quality display in front of the home faithful. For United Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie will again be looking to get on the clean sheet and the shining Adnand Janujaz will be featuring yet again to win more fans, quite unbelievable given his age.
While Moyes is far from winning over his own set of fans, he knows he cannot afford a slip up as far as the Title predicaments are concerned. As for Predictions I would United just edging the game by the thinnest of margins.
Facts and Figures:
- Fulham have scored a league-high four goals originating from corners this season.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in each of their last 11 Premier League away games in London, last losing in May 2011 at Arsenal.
- Fulham have lost each of their last five Premier League matches with United, their worst run since losing eight in a row between 2005 and 2009.
- Four of United’s last five Premier League defeats in London have come in the west of the capital (twice to Fulham, twice to Chelsea).
- Man United have delivered the most crosses in the Premier League this season (202) and three of their last five goals have come from wide deliveries.
- Wayne Rooney has scored or assisted 11 goals in his last 15 Premier League away games.
- Robin van Persie has scored six goals in his last seven Premier League away games.
- Overall Van Persie has 16 goals in 22 away appearances for Manchester United in the top-flight.
Stats Courtesy: Yahoo Sport
Possible starting lineups
Fulham: Stekelenburg; Riether, Senderos, Amorebieta, Richardson; Sidwell, Parker; Ruiz, Berbatov, Kasami; Bent
Manchester United: De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Evra; Januzaj, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa; Rooney, van Persie
Fulham vs Manchester United – Football tactics and formations
Blast from the past: