Paulinho confirms Tottenham move
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil midfielder Paulinho has confirmed he has signed a four-year deal with English football club Tottenham Hotspur for 17 million pounds.
The 24-year-old ended speculation about his future on Monday following Brazil’s 3-0 victory over Spain in the Confederations Cup final, reports Xinhua.
“The proposal came, we sat down, analysed it and decided,” Paulinho said during a press conference. “It was a big decision to go to a big club. There comes a certain point when you need new challenges.”
“There was some interest from Inter Milan, but the only offer came from Tottenham.”
Paulinho finished third in the Golden Ball voting for the most valuable player of the Confederations Cup and he scored the late winner against Uruguay that earned Brazil a place in the final.
Unknown to most Brazilian fans as little as a year ago, Paulinho played a key role in Corinthians‘ Copa Libertadores-FIFA Club World Cup double last year. He is now one of the first players picked by national coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
“It’s hard to say anything at a moment like this, but those were three wonderful years in my career, with many titles,” he said of his time at Corinthians.
“What I have to say to the fans, board and staff is see you soon. I will be back in no time, because of everything they have done for me.
“My individual titles are all thanks to the club, Corinthians will be in my heart for the rest of my life.”