Premier League 2017/18: Amazing Statistics from this season
With this season's Premier League officially over, we take a look back at some of the amazing statistics from the season. Various records were broken (individually and by clubs), new milestones set, while some just wish some records hadn't been set...this PL was no less than a roller coaster ride.
Without further much ado, let us take a look at the stats, courtesy of OptaJoe.
There's a first time for everything
(Image Courtesy: BBC Sport)
1) This was the first time that both the Manchester clubs had defeated all 19 PL clubs they faced in a single season.
2) Chelsea became the first reigning champions since 1981 to lose on the opening day of the season (previous being Aston Villa). They also became the first reigning champions to concede 3 goals in their first league game. The downfall started right from the beginning.
3) Despite losing their first 7 games this season, without scoring a single goal in the process, Crystal Palace managed to avoid relegation. The last team to do so was Liverpool in the 1899/1900 season. You don't see that very often.
4) Arsenal may have had a bad season, but they became the first team to score 100 goals against a single opponent - Everton. The Gunners would hope that they play against Everton every week.
5) Pep and his side may have broken many records, but this was the first time that he lost thrice to a single opponent in a single season - Liverpool (once in the Premier League and twice in the Champions League). Pep would be looking to get his revenge next season.
6) For the first time since 1894/95, teams that finished out of the top 6 had conceded more goals than they had scored. Who cares about defence anyway...right?
7) For the first time since 1993/94, the PL saw 2 players score 30+ goals in a single season (Mohamed Salah and Harry Kane). Can we see more players next season?
8) United became the first team to win all the games in which they scored first (21 games) The previous club to do so was Portsmouth (14 games) in the 2007/08 season.
All stats courtesy: OptaJoe