Everton have entered the race to sign Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah this summer, according to reports. The 25-year-old has been linked with Nottingham Forest as well.
Nketiah came through the Gunners' academy and earned his first-team promotion in 2019. He has made 168 appearances for the north Londoners since, contributing 38 goals and seven assists.
While he has three years left on his contract, the Arsenal forward has struggled to break into the first team and his future at the Emirates Stadium remains bleak. He was close to joining Marseille this summer but the two sides could not agree on a transfer fee.
According to Football Insider, Everton and Nottingham Forest are interested in the English forward, with the Toffees preparing a loan bid. However, they face competition as Crystal Palace and Wolverhampton Wanderers have been credited as long-term admirers who remain interested.
Nketiah was linked with Bournemouth as well earlier in the window after Dominic Solanke's departure, though a transfer never materialized.
Everton's potential deal with Nketiah may depend on whether Dominic Calvert-Lewin leaves the club before the window closes at the end of the month, per the aforementioned outlet.
Everton boss Sean Dyche is keen on signing an attacker this summer and the club have considered permanent moves for the Arsenal striker and Chelsea's Armando Broja. However, due to issues with the two London clubs' asking price, the Toffees are pursuing a loan deal for Nketiah.
"We had two objectives" - Mikel Arteta explains Arsenal's lack of transfer activity this summer
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has opened up about the club's rather quiet transfer window this summer. The Spaniard has named two objectives the Gunners laid out regarding reinforcements for the squad.
The north London outfit made only two signings this summer. They secured David Raya on a permanent deal from Brentford after his excellent campaign last season.
Arsenal also signed Riccardo Calafiori, who impressed at the 2024 European Championships for Italy, from Bologna for a reported £42 million. Speaking about his side's transfer business this window, Arteta said (via GOAL):
"After the season, we had two objectives – the main and most important one is make sure we are still in love with our players. Then, OK if there are still opportunities in the market, we will look at them."
"I already said at the beginning that the main focus is to improve our players and find margins that help them find a level that they probably hadn’t even dreamed about."
The Gunners began their Premier League season with a 2-0 win over Wolves at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday (August 17).