Video: Watch Juventus defender Patrice Evra take the Shoot For Love challenge
- The global challenge is set to continue after Evra nominated Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Paul Pogba
- Juventus F.C. defender Patrice Evra shoots his way to 1st place in the Shoot for Love Challenge #ShootForLove
- John Terry and Jonjo Shelvey have now been knocked into 2nd place.
- After completing the challenge, Patrice Evra nominated Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Paul Pogba to participate.
Patrice Evra is the latest sporting luminary to take part in the Shoot for Love football-archery challenge. Nominated by former Manchester United midfielder and club ambassador Park Ji-sung, the Juventus F.C. defender was keen to beat his score.
'Hey, Evra, since I am a retired player, you can probably beat my score. Try it!' said Park Ji-sung, laying down the international charity gauntlet at the Juventus F.C. training ground.
Participants in the Shoot for Love challenge take 10 shots at an oversized archery target from 10 meters away. Each bull's eye earns 10 points, with points reducing as distance from the bull's eye increases. For every point scored, the Guus Hiddink Foundation makes a donation to help children suffering from cancer.
Evra was keen to raise funds and beat fellow teammate Park Ji-sung's score of 73 points, despite a not-so-smooth warm up, declared his ambition:
'Hello! Today I'm going to beat my best brother, Park Ji-Sung. You're going to see – really easy!
'First of all, he's not my best friend, he's my worst friend; he's not my friend, he's my brother. And yeah, I will try to beat Ji. I can't lose against him, because I've already beaten him in a transmission in Korean. You know which one I'm talking about.'
After shooting 10 times, Evra had racked up an impressive 89 points, beating Ji-sung's score by 16. By moving to the top of the leader board, Evra pushed John Terry and Jonjo Shelvey into 2nd position. 'Oh, sorry, Jonjo,' Evra teased. 'You know, when you play for United and Juventus, better quality. I'm really sorry. Haha.'
The global challenge is set to continue after Evra nominated Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Paul Pogba
Jun Kim, Director of the Shoot for Love Challenge, said, 'Evra's participation in the challenge was so entertaining. But more than that, he showed a sincere heart for children fighting this awful disease.
'After completing the challenge, Evra left a personal message for the children in Korean,' noted Jun Kim. 'He said, “I hope you get well soon. Stay strong. We will always support you and be on your side.”'
Jun Kim added: 'Evra's participation and personal touch truly impressed me.'
The campaign has already attracted football royalty from around the world, with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, Spanish legends Carles Puyol and Raul Gonzalez, Chelsea F.C. defender Cesar Azpilicueta, retired Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung, PSV Eindhoven manager PhillipCocu, Borussia Dortmund Defender Mats Hummels and many others raising funds for children with cancer.
The Shoot for Love campaign is run by the Guus Hiddink Foundation in association with Be Kind and Korean Association for Children's Cancer and Leukemia (KACLC). Since May, the challenge has raised over $200,000.
The Guus Hiddink Foundation is run by renowned football manager Guus Hiddink.
Participants so far:
- Spanish legend Carles Puyol and Raul Gonzalez.
- Chelsea F.C. defender Cesar Azpilicueta and captain John Terry
- Swansea City Midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and Ki Sung-Yeung
- Retired midfielder from Manchester United, Park Ji-sung
- Midfielder from Tottenham Hotspurs, Son Heung-min
- Current Manager of PSV Eindhoven, Phillip Cocu
- Borussia Dortmund Defender Mats Hummels
- Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp
Below is the video showing Evra take on Park Ji-sung’s challenge