For those who are into working out, you must have heard that cardio is a must when it comes to losing weight. And it is absolutely true. However, there are various forms of cardio exercises that you can do to get results. What we have noticed is that running is one of the most effective cardio routines. It can scare you away for a while because when you think about running, it brings to you images of you sweating and being out of breath. But trust us, the feeling you get after running, will make you want to do it again. In addition to that, it helps you burn a lot of calories. Let us look at a few reasons as to why running is good for you:
1) Running not only helps you give a positive boost to your metabolism; it also helps you lose weight. Running for 25-30 minutes, 5 times a week can do wonders for you body.
2) Running helps you be energetic throughout the day. It keeps you focused and vibrant and makes you feel a sense of accomplishment.
3) Unlike HIIT workout, swimming or cycling, running has no cost attached to it. It is absolutely free and can be done anytime.
4) Are you having a bad day? Just run! Running helps you clear your thoughts and align your senses to calm you down and gain perspective.
5) Running can be termed as an advanced level cardio workout. 2 minutes into it will make you feel the burn. It is a full body workout that is also capable of toning your muscles.
6) If you maintain a proper form while running, it can help you strengthen your core and your glutes. Can it get any better?
7) You can incorporate interval training to your running session. Just switch speeds periodically and you will know what we are talking about!
Now, let us look at some warm-up exercises that you must do before you go running!
Step 1: Stand straight and keep your feet together. Keep your back straight and your body loose.
Step 2: Lift your right leg off the floor and extend it in front of you without bending your knees. Touch your toes with your left hand.
Step 3: Lower it back down and repeat for the other side. This makes 1 rep.
Do 5 reps and relax.
Next up: Leg Crossover
Step 1: Lie down on the floor and extend your legs in front of you. Keep your arms by your side, but at your shoulder level such that your body forms a T.
Step 2: Lift your right leg off the floor and cross it over your body to take it to your left. Touch the floor with your toes and bring it back to the initial position. Make sure to keep your shoulders and arms stationary.
Step 3: Repeat the same motion for the other side. This makes 1 rep.
Do 5 reps of the exercise and go slow with the motions.
Next up: Squats with Jumps
Squats with Jumps
Step 1: Stand and keep your feet shoulder width apart.
Step 2: Bend your knees to lower your body down. Go down until your thighs are parallel to the floor and do not bend your back.
Step 3: As you get back to the initial position, push through your legs to jump as high as you can.
Step 4: Land on your toes and get back to the initial position to do a squat again. Repeat the motion.
Do this exercise for a minute.
Next up: Plank with Knee Drives
Plank with Knee Drives
Step 1: Get in the high plank position with your feet hip width apart, your arms extended under your shoulder and your body aligned in a straight line from your head to your heels.
Step 2: Engage your core and bend your left knee to bring it close to the outside of your left elbow. Take it back to the initial position.
Step 3: Bend it again and bring it close to your right elbow. Get back to the initial position and repeat for the other side. This makes 1 rep.
Do this exercise for 1 minute.
Next up: Walking Lunges
Step 1: Stand with your feet together and your hands on your hips. Place your left foot in front
Step 2: Bend your left knee at 90 degrees. Simultaneously, bend your right knee to make it touch the floor.
Step 3: Stay in this position for 2 seconds and get back up by straightening your legs.
Step 4: Now, place your right foot in front and do a lunge. Get back and repeat.
Also, read 7 Top Hip Exercises To Strengthen Your Hips
Do this exercise for 1 minute and relax.