Create
Notifications
New User posted their first comment
Advertisement

Renault boss rules out Alonso Indy 500 drive in 2021

Fernando Alonso F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Previews 11222018
Fernando Alonso
Omnisport
NEWS
Modified 14 Aug 2020, 23:16 IST
News
Advertisement

Renault will not allow Fernando Alonso to compete in the Indianapolis 500 next year.

Alonso will return to Formula One in 2021 after Renault last month confirmed he will replace the McLaren-bound Daniel Ricciardo.

The Spaniard is currently preparing to race in the 2020 edition of the Indy 500 and suffered a crash in practice on Thursday.

Alonso was cleared to get back behind the wheel this week ahead of the prestigious race on August 23, where he will again attempt to complete the 'Triple Crown' of winning an F1 world title, the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Indy 500.

The 39-year-old was allowed to race in the Indy 500 during his second spell with McLaren and missed the Monaco Grand Prix three years ago to head out to the United States.

Renault team principal Cyril Abiteboul says the two-time F1 world champion will not be permitted to compete in the famous race in 2021.

Abiteboul said: "The very straightforward answer is that I'm hardly breathing until next weekend actually, when he is stepping out of his racing car from Indianapolis.

"But I can be very clear that once he is with us, that is for good, and for a while, so no distractions."

Published 14 Aug 2020, 23:16 IST
Advertisement
Fetching more content...
App download animated image Get the free App now
❤️ Favorites Edit