Del Potro return delayed as he withdraws from Brisbane International
Canberra, Jan 1 (IANS)
Former US Open winner Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the Brisbane International, officials said Thursday, further delaying his return to the court from an injury-blighted 2014.
The Argentine had been scheduled to play in the Jan 4-11 Brisbane event, ahead of defending his title in the Sydney International from January 11-17 in the lead-up to the Australian Open, reports Xinhua.
But Brisbane International officials said del Potro "was forced to withdraw with a persistent left wrist injury".
After winning the US Open in 2009, Del Potro's career was hampered by surgery on his right wrist in 2010 before he fought his way back into the top 10 again.