French Open 2019: Ashleigh Barty vs Danielle Collins, match preview and prediction
The women's singles draw at Roland Garros this year is lined up with some entertaining matches for the fans to cheer for and with Angelique Kerber already getting ousted in the first round, there are enough reasons to say that there are a few more setbacks to come for the top seeds in this tournament.
One such match-up that has the possibility of creating an upset early in the tournament is the second round clash between Ashleigh Barty and Danielle Collins.
Ash Barty has been one of the most successful young players this year in the women's circuit, having won the Miami Open after defeating the likes of Petra Kvitova, Karolina Pliskova and reaching the quarter-finals of certain tournaments as well. She definitely seems to be the star that Australia has been looking for after Samantha Stosur.
She defeated Jessica Pegula of America in straight sets in the first round of Roland Garros this year, 6-3,6-3.
On the other hand, Danielle Collins made her mark this year with a phenomenal performance in the Australian Open as she reached the semi-finals after upsetting the three-time Major champion Angelique Kerber along the way.
But she failed to continue the momentum she had in the Australian Open as she couldn't reach the quarter-finals of any of the tournaments she played thereafter.
Head-to-Head record between Ashleigh Barty and Danielle Collins:
They had played against each other once in the second round of the Madrid Open with Ash Barty winning the match, 6-1, 1-6, 6-1.
With both players being aggressive in their approach towards the game, it will be an interesting match to witness as there will be lesser rallies and more winners flowing from the racquets on either sides.
Also, this could be a nice opportunity for Collins to get back the lost momentum as she failed to prove her mettle against the top-ranked players following her successful stint in the Australian Open earlier this year.
Even though Ash Barty has a better chance of winning this encounter than the American Danielle Collins, it is the underdog who came on top in women's tennis more often than not in recent times at some of the major tournaments. Thus the American cannot be counted out completely.
Match Prediction : Ashleigh Barty - 60% chance of winning, Danielle Collins - 40% chance of winning.
Published 30 May 2019, 16:35 IST