HCL Tennis Junior Tour and Masters 2016 - Day 1 kicks off with some fascinating encounters
Winners of the Masters to get trained at the Rafa Nadal Academy in Spain.
The HCL Tennis Junior Tour and Masters 2016, New Delhi – national level competition, began in Noida today. It was organised under the aegis of All India Tennis Association (AITA), with support from the respective state tennis associations and Mahesh Bhupathi Tennis Academies (MBTA) as the knowledge partner.
With this tournament, HCL Enterprise, in association with Mahesh Bhupathi Tennis Academies, is offering a platform to young tennis players at the grass root level with proper training & financial support and giving them a golden opportunity to showcase their talent.
Being the first day only matches of Girls U-12 (First round) and Boys U-12 (First round) took place. The spirit and love for the game can be easily spotted in the players' game. A total of 16 matches took place in the two 2 Hard Courts of Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida.The balls which the players are using is AITA Approved.
The spotlight of the day was the match between (26) Arunava and (5) Anmay Yogesh. Arunava being a lower ranked player managed to win the match despite losing the first set 4-6. She came back in the next two sets with a brilliant performance and managed to win the match 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.
Results (21st November 2016)
BOYS U-12 FIRST ROUND
(4) Akarsh Gaonkar bt (3) Ayushmaan Arjeria 6-1, 6-3
(80)Skandha Prasanna Rao bt (185) Dhananjay Athreya 6-0, 6-2
(124) Arjun Premkumar bt (75) Sarthak Sharma 6-1, 7-5
(121) Manas Dhamne bt (57) Agriya Yadav 6-0, 6-2
(16) Rahul Pamei bt (23) Anchit Gogoi 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
(14) L N Nithis Balaaji bt (108) Rethin Pranav R S 6-2, 6-2
(76) Wyatt Obrien bt (20) Karthik Neal Vadepalli 6-3, 6-2
(26) Arunava Majumder bt (5) Anmay Yogesh Devaraj 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
GIRLS U-12 FIRST ROUND
(26) Vaishnavi Adkar bt (17) Radhika Mahajan 6-0, 6-0
(15) Sweta Samanta bt (61) Vaibhavi Saxena 6-1, 6-0
(82) Ananya S R bt (68) Karthika Vijay 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
(19) Pari Singh bt Maithili (36) Pravin Mothe 6-2, 6-1
(109) Kundana Sri bt (53) Gargi Das 6-1, 6-1
(25) Rijul Vidyasagar Sidanale bt (56) Swarnali Ghosh 6-1, 6-0
(88) Lakshmi Prabha Arun Kumar bt (201) G Priyadarshini 7-6(3), 6-2
(18) Rutuja Chaphalkar bt (13) Mekhala Manna 6-3, 6-0
The HCL Junior Masters will be held in Noida at the Shiv Nadar University from November 21-25, 2016. The Masters will be played amongst the top 16 players in each category from the Singles events. This will be a knockout tournament. A total of 64 players have enrolled for the competition.
The winner in the singles event of the Masters in the U-12 and the U-14 categories will be sent to a fully-sponsored training session for one week to the RafaNadal Academy in Spain. The runners-up will be sent to Kochi to one of the high-performance centres of Mahesh Bhupathi’s tennis academies for two weeks of training, entirely sponsored by HCL.
ABOUT HCL TENNIS
HCL, a leading global conglomerate with annual revenues of over US $7 billion, is committed to its core belief of ‘touching lives’ and works towards promoting sports to inculcate a spirit of sportsmanship in society.
Through partnerships with sports academies, societies and sports federations, HCL has invested in Tennis, Bridge and Football. HCL’s association with Tennis started in 2015 through the HCL Inter-School Tennis Challenge that aimed at inspiring young tennis players in the age group of U-12 and U-14 to play Tennis and help nurture and develop their skils.
In 2016, HCL has launched the Junior Tour and Masters, a national level competition across five cities – Chennai, Kolkata, Lucknow, Pune and Greater Noida. It is being organised under the aegis of All India Tennis Association (AITA), with support from the respective state tennis associations and Mahesh Bhupathi Tennis Academies as the knowledge partner.