Opening match loss reopened old scars for England: Mitchell Starc
Sydney, Jan 17 (IANS) A year after their Ashes destruction of England, Australia's Man-of-the-Match Mitchell Starc says he hopes a bonus point victory in the first match of the tri-series "reopened a few scars" for the tourists.
Australia coasted to the 235 target with more than 10 overs to spare via a David Warner century on Friday night, with the three-wicket margin not entirely representative as the hosts lost wickets chasing the extra point, reports The Sydney Morning Herald.
Starc, who had earlier torn through the England top order claiming two wickets in the first three balls of the match, said that it was the perfect way for Australia to begin their World Cup lead-up against an opponent they will face on the opening day of the tournament next month.
"Hopefully it reopened a few scars tonight. They're going to have to be out here for a few months now with this tri-series, and the World Cup so there is no better way to kick off our campaign than getting one above them tonight," Starc said.
"Obviously, we had a great summer last year against them and carried that on again tonight."