Debutants Oršić and Håland emerge as the surprise top-scorers | UEFA Champions League 2019/20
During the first matchday of the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League, a total of 45 goals were scored in 16 games by 39 players for 21 different teams. The goals across the various games were evenly spread across each half, with 22 being scored in the first half and 23 coming in the second half.
Sardar Azmoun scored the first goal of the Champions League season by finding the back of the net for Zenit St. Petersburg in the Russian club's 1-1 home draw with Olympique Lyonnais.
The two all-time Champions League top-scorers, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, drew blanks against Atlético Madrid and Borussia Dortmund respectively.
Competition debutants Mislav Oršić of Croatia and Erling Braut Håland of Norway are the surprise top-scorers of the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League after bagging hat-tricks in the first matchday of group games.
Håland and Oršić, respectively, are the 8th and 9th different players to bag Champions League hat-tricks in their first games in the competition. The duo is the first pair of debutants to score three goals in a Champions League game on the same matchday.
In the process, Håland and Oršić's respective clubs, Red Bull Salzburg and Dinamo Zagreb, became the 46th and 47th different clubs to register Champions League hat-tricks.
Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich scored a Champions League goal for the 9th consecutive season, a streak which is only bettered by the trio of Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, and Lionel Messi, with 14 apiece, among active players.
Here are the top-scorers of the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League after the first matchday.
- Mislav Oršić (Dinamo Zagreb)
- Erling Braut Håland (Salzburg).
- Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
- Ángel Di María (Paris St. Germain).
- Dries Mertens (Napoli)
- Fernando Llorente (Napoli)
- Hee-Chan Hwang (Salzburg)
- Jhon Lucumi (Genk)
- Dominik Szoboszlai (Salzburg)
- Ally Samatta (Genk)
- Andreas Ulmer (Salzburg)
- Peter Olayinka (Slavia Praha)
- Nicolò Barella (Internazionale)
- Sardar Azmoun (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Memphis Depay (Lyon)
- Haris Seferović (Benfica)
- Rodrigo (Valencia)
- Quincy Promes (Ajax)
- Edson Álvarez (Ajax)
- Nicolás Tagliafico (Ajax)
- Thomas Meunier (Paris St. Germain)
- Harry Kane (Tottenham)
- Lucas Moura (Tottenham)
- Daniel Podence (Olympiacos)
- Mathieu Valbuena (Olympiacos)
- Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich)
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
- Thomas Müller (Bayern Munich)
- Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City)
- İlkay Gündoğan (Manchester City)
- Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City)
- Marin Leovac (Dinamo Zagreb)
- Juan Cuadrado (Juventus)
- Blaise Matuidi (Juventus)
- Stefan Savić (Atlético Madrid)
- Héctor Herrera (Atlético Madrid)
- Grzegorz Krychowiak (Spartak Moscow)
- Benedikt Höwedes (Bayer 04 Leverkusen) - own goal.
- Dmitri Barinov (Spartak Moscow).
As matchday 2 fixtures kick off on 2nd and 3rd October 2019, Ronaldo and Messi, the two most prolific scorers in the competition, would look to get going on home turf when Juventus welcome Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Barcelona play host to Internazionale respectively.Published 20 Sep 2019, 20:19 IST