Carlos Tevez : The Person behind an Ace Footballer
Carlos Tevez, Manchester City’s lynch-pin up front, who’s renowned all over for his exemplary skills, soothing touch, perspicacious passing, dazzling runs and wondrous finishes has more to him than just a gifted footballer plying his trade. Someone who leads one of Premier League’s biggest club’s with a flabbergasting financial backing, someone who’s the highest paid footballer in the most popular league in the world with a staggering 250,000 pounds a week and one who enjoys a spectacular goal-scoring record leaving several of his celebrated counterparts chewing hay is expected to be leading a perfect life in the eyes of a common football fanatic. However, there’s a lot more to this bodacious character…
A brief look at Carlos Tevez’s profile:
Carlos Tevez began his professional career with Argentinean outfit Boca Juniors when he was just 16. After being there for 3 years, he parted ways with Boca Juniors in 2004 where he scored 26 goals in 75 appearances.
Carlos Tevez joined Brazilian club Cointhians in January 2005 for about 14 million pounds. In addition, he signed a 6.85 million pounds worth of a contract with Media Sports Investments after a deal was struck with them by Corinthians. Tevez made huge strides with the Brazilian outfit with his awe-inspiring performances which saw him land the league’s best player in his debut season. He ended up scoring an impressive 31 goals in 47 appearances for Corinthians.
West Ham United(2006-2007)
In September 2006, Tevez got the first taste of English football after inking a deal with West Ham United for 12 million pounds. After a disappointing start to his campaign with the Hammers, he bounced back and produced some exhilarating display in crucial games and helped the Hammers survive relegation by the skin of their teeth. All this potential and promise did not go unnoticed. Manchester United chief Sir Alex Ferguson was impressed by Tevez’s ‘never give in’ attitude and a treasure-chest worth of talent which saw Carlos Tevez don the famous and enviable Manchester United colors the next season. Tevez managed to get 7 past the keeper in 26 appearances for West Ham United.
Carlos Tevez secured his move to the Premier League Champions Manchester United in August 2007. Tevez started making his presence felt as soon as he was brought on for Wayne Rooney as a substitute in a 1-1 draw against Portsmouth in the Premier League. He kept on impressing with a solid run of form in the league as well as in the Champions league in which he scored 5 goals and scored a crucial penalty in the Champions League final which helped United clinch the Champions League against domestic nemesis Chelsea. Carlos Tevez had become a fans favourite and was eulogized effortlessly by the media and football analysts alike. However, his romance with Manchester United came to an ugly end after he had a fallout with the United staff and lack of communication with the manager. Suddenly he felt he was not a part of the scheme of things at United and was overlooked in crunch games. All this led to an unprepossessing showdown with senior Man Utd officials which led to his departure from Old Trafford. Tevez found the net 19 times in 63 appearances for the Red Devils.
Manchester City (2009-Present)
In July 2009, Carlos Tevez became the first player to make a switch from one half of Manchester to the other since 1999. Amidst much fanfare, Tevez was unveiled as Manchester City’s marquee signing and was a subject to intense discussions and banter on football forums and social networking sites. Teves was given the shirt numbered 32, which he donned for both West Ham and Man United. Tevez stamped his authority soon after his first goal for City in the Premier League against his former club West Ham United. There was no stopping the sturdy forward after that and he scored as many as 9 goals in 7 games and earned a tag of ‘Mr. Dependable’ by the City of Manchester faithful. Tevez managed to spearhead the City attack efficiently which paid off and he was made to lead the side by City boss Roberto Mancini.
International career with Argentina(2004-Present)
Carlos Tevez is now very much a part of the Argentinean national side. He first came in the limelight in the FIFA- under 17 world championship and since then has been surging ahead in the Argentinean ranks. He played a prominent role in helping Argentina win the 2004 Olympic games by scoring 8 goals. Tevez was also a part of Argentina’s 2006 and 2010 FIFA World Cups. Carlos Tevez has scored 13 goals in 59 appearances for Argentina so far.
Controversy’s favourite child?
Carlos Tevez is among a rare breed of star footballers who has faced as many controversies as the amount of accolades showered on him for his footballing prowess. Wherever he goes, controversy follows. Here’s an endless list of some of the major controversies Carlos Tevez has had to cater to…
-The scar controversy: Carlos Tevez wears his pride wherever he goes. Tevez has a burn scar which runs down his neck from his right ear to the chest which he suffered after he was accidently scalded with boiling water.His first club Boca Juniors offered him to get it cosmetically improved but Tevez was prompt to reject the offer citing the scar as a part of who he is and what he will be.
- Issues with Corinthians: In August 2006, Tevez refused to play for his club Corinthians for reasons best known to him. It is speculated that a tiff with some members of the staff was the reason behind Tevez’s decision to not play for the club anymore.
- The infamous tantrum: Carlos Tevez, the boisterous character that he is, has been often accused of twittering and bickering about little things which seem to go against him. When he was substituted in a league game playing for West Ham, he left the stadium in a huff after throwing a mini tantrum which didn’t go down well with his team mates. As punishment, they decided Tevez would donate a part of his salary to charity and wear a Brazil jersey. Tevez snapped at his mates and told them in no uncertain terms that he won’t wear the shirt. He was quotes as saying… “I’m Argentine and won’t wear that shirt”.
- Relagation controversy: Carlos Tevez helped his club West Ham United escape relegation after the last day of the season heroics saw the Hammers narrowly cling on the the first division. However, Sheffield United had to face the music after they failed to secure survival on the same day. It was later discovered that Carlos Tevez was partially owned by Media Sports Investment, a company owned by British businessman Kia Joorabchian. Sheffield United made a lot of hue and cry about a sense of indignation at being relegated because the Hammers escaped the same with the assistance of ‘illegal’ players. West Ham United were compelled to bang out 20 million pounds as compensation to Sheffield United for a period of 5 years.
- West Ham and MSI tug of war: Carlos Tevez’s move from West Ham United to Manchester United was marred by the conflict between Media Sports Investment and West Ham, both of whom wanted to talk directly to Manchester United about Tevez’s move and the conditions that go with it. This protracted saga did end after the intervention of the FA, FIFA and the Court of Arbitration of Sports.
- Problems with Manchester United: After being snubbed by Alex Ferguson inspite of doing well, Carlos Tevez made his feelings crystal clear and lashed out at Man Utd for the unjust treatment meted out to him. The communication with United’s media manager and even to an extent with Sir Alex had broken down and even though United proposed to extend his contract, it was too little too late. Tevez’s outspoken interviews in which he had been cribbing about how shabbily he was treated at Old Trafford did not go down well with many Man Utd fans.
-‘Welcome to Manchester’: Carlos Tevez moved from Manchester United to their severest antagonists Manchester City, he was greeted with banners and screeches of ‘Welcome to Manchester’, which implied to Manchester City being the real Manchester which was aimed at mocking Manchester United and their irksome treatment of Tevez. This created a huge uproar in the red half of Manchester who took to the streets to make their anger noticed and they came up with counter-slogans of their own to belittle their rivals based in the City of Manchester stadium.
- Going back and forth about his future: The latest controversy that Carlos Tevez has landed into is pertaining to his future at Eastlands with Manchester City. It all started in December 2010 when he expressed his desire to quit the Eastlands outfit after his fallout with City’s chief executive Garry Cook. He had even handed in an official transfer request back then which was not taken too kindly by the Citizens. However, after much deliberations, Tevez withdrew this request and reaffirmed his commitment to the club and the fans. It has not even been a year since he gave a public assurance about his stint with City being there to stay and now he’s back again voicing his desire to leave Eastlands to be closer to his family in Argentina.
What lies ahead?
Manchester City have made it clear that they won’t be held to ransom by Carlos Tevez which makes it ostensible that City want to get things done their way and that they wouldn’t let Tevez dictate terms of his exit. While some top clubs are interested in moving for Tevez’s signature, it doesn’t look easy as they’d have to match the exorbitant wages earned by the Argentinean luminary at Manchester City and the 27 year old will not come cheap considering Manchester City expect nothing short of 50 million pounds to consider his sale. Tevez on the other hand, is determined to secure his pass to somewhere outside England, Spain and Italy being the likely destinations.
If both the parties stick to their stand, expect some fireworks on the way… Manchester City loyalists however would hope things don’t get nasty which would go on to hit the club hard considering Tevez’s significance and influence in the club. Neutrals on the other hand can brace themselves for an exciting drama that will unfold at the City of Manchester stadium.
A life of a footballer is never easy. All what looks so glamorous and velvety from outside is not all that glittery once one starts to move closer. Controversies, family concerns, accolades and criticism are a part of a footballers life, more so in the elite league of footballers of which Carlos Tevez is very much a part. Carlos Tevez has excelled at a level which only a few can brag home about. His stature in the football world is immense and he is idolized by countless youngsters worldwide for his prodigious prowess and magical exhibition when he’s on the ball. At the end of the day though… there’s a person behind an ace footballer.