Chelsea and Everton interested in Kalidou Koulibaly, confirms agent
Chelsea and Everton have emerged as front-runners in the race to sign Kalidou Koulibaly.
The 25-year-old joined the Italian side from Racing Genk in 2014. In his debut season in the Serie A, the centre-back did not show any promising signs, which led Napoli to consider allowing him to leave the club last summer.
However, Koulibaly continued with his current employers for the 2015-16 season and that is when he was impressive in the heart of their defence. He started in 45 matches for Napoli, which includes 13 appearances in the Europa League.
His form has seen him attract interest from Antonio Conte's Chelsea and even Everton's newly appointed manager Ronald Koeman is believed to be interested in his services. The Senegalese international's contract at the Stadio San Paolo will expire in 2019.
Now Koulibaly's agent has confirmed interest from both the west London side and the Merseyside outfit. In addition to this Satin has also revealed that his client will not sign a new deal as he looks to leave Napoli in the ongoing transfer window.
"I was in Dimaro on Saturday and we discussed a contract renewal. However, we are not at the point of reaching an agreement. The desire of the player is to leave the club, not renew," Satin told Radio CRC.
"We are told by the club that he is a great player but from the renewal on offer, we don’t see this.
"Last year they wanted to sell him, stating he was not focused enough, but then last season he has shown all his quality.
"To the fans I say stay calm because he won’t be joining Juventus. Chelsea and Everton are still interested as they are both searching for a central defender of his quality."
Chelsea have John Terry and Gary Cahill, along with Kurt Zouma as the three first-choice centre-backs in the squad. The Blues captain is in the twilight of his career and Conte is aware that it is necessary for the club to find a long-term replacement for the Stamford Bridge stalwart.
Meanwhile, Everton could lose John Stones this summer, with the England international attracting interest from Pep Guardiola's Manchester City. Should he leave Goodison Park, Koeman will need to bring in a replacement for him this summer.