Write & Earn
Notifications

Gonzalo Higuain says Napoli President pushed him to Juventus move

Gonzalo Higuain cleared the air stating his reasons for the transfer to Juventus

Gonzalo Higuain
Gonzalo Higuain at his new home in Turin

Argentinian striker Gonzalo Higuain has lashed out at Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis accusing him of not treating him well during his three years at the club. Higuain cleared the air by asking for forgiveness from the manager Maurizio Sarri, who was clearly upset at the striker for not informing him of his transfer decision. Further, Higuain thanked the fans and explained his decision, while he also applauded Juventus for a smooth transfer transaction.

Higuain used the press at his Juventus official presentation to clarify how he was embroiled in a difficult situation with De Laurentiis.

Also read: Higuain arrives in Turin to huge welcome from Juventus fans

"My relationship with him was never good because his way of thinking was not like mine," he said at his official presentation in Turin on Thursday. "He didn’t treat me well and I couldn’t stand to be around him for another minute. My choice also came about because he pushed me to make it. When my three years there came to an end I felt it was time for a change, for reasons that happened before. I want to thank the tifosi and my teammates, but not him. I can’t say more than that.

"Now I'm very happy here and I thank Juve for their great effort to get me."

Also read: Real Madrid to receive €2.25 million from Gonzalo Higuain's transfer

Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri had earlier expressed his bitter feeling toward Higuain over his decision to accept Juve's offer without consulting him. He also mentioned the scope of disappointment which extended till the dressing room. He told Corriere dello Sport:  "I was expecting at least a phone call, even if it was just for five minutes before he had his medicals.

"But I'm old enough not to be surprised. The lads also expected a farewell. As far as I know, there was nothing."

Higuain continued in his press release, issuing a long-awaited response that seemed mature enough to console his Napoli fans, teammates and the manager.

"I had three good years in Napoli, and I understand that they are angry with me. I saw the insults, but this is a choice I made for me. I'm happy to have done it. It was my choice to keep calm and stay silent. I was just thinking of my holiday with my friends and family. He [Sarri] was very important to me, he helped me grow. I only have words of thanks for him."

Fetching more content...