Manchester United Transfer News Roundup: Red Devils eyeing early double signing, club want Sporting ace, and more - June 18, 2024

Manchester City v Manchester United - Emirates FA Cup Final
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Manchester United are preparing to upgrade their squad after a mixed season under Erik ten Hag. The Dutchman could only manage an eighth-placed finish in the Premier League in the 2023-24 campaign but won the FA Cup.

Meanwhile, the Red Devils are planning a speedy start to the summer transfer window. Elsewhere, the English giants have their eyes on a Sporting defender.

On that note, let's look at the major Manchester United transfer stories from June 18, 2024.


Manchester United eyeing early double signings, says journalist

Jadon Sancho
Jadon Sancho

Manchester United are hoping to sign two players early in the summer transfer window, according to transfer insider Ben Jacobs. The Premier League giants are looking ahead to an eventful transfer window under new minority owners INEOS, who took charge of the club earlier this year.

The Red Devils were very fast off the blocks last summer, signing Mason Mount from Chelsea and Andre Onana from Inter Milan. Jacobs now adds that they want to repeat the trick this year.

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, the journalist also insisted that player sales will have a huge impact on the club's activity this summer.

"All of the INEOS people and Manchester United want to try and bring in, if they can, two early signings, much like they did 12 months ago when Mason Mount and Andre Onana arrived. But their [Man Utd] window, at large, is also contingent upon outgoings," said Jacobs.

He continued:

"It's going to be equally as important that they resolve the futures, and ultimately, if they can bring in healthy fees for Jaden Sancho and Mason Greenwood because the collective number for those two will allow Manchester United to bring in more than just two players."

The Premier League's new Profit and Sustainability Rules will also affect the English giants' spending this summer.

Red Devils want Goncalo Inacio, says Fabrizio Romano

Goncalo Inacio
Goncalo Inacio

Manchester United are keeping a close eye on Goncalo Inacio, according to acclaimed journalist Fabrizio Romano. The Portuguese defender enjoyed an impressive 2023-24 campaign with Sporting CP, registering 49 appearances across competitions.

His efforts have earned him admirers at Old Trafford, with Erik ten Hag in urgent need for a new defender. Raphael Varane has already left the club and the Dutchman is eager to rope in a replacement. Inacio could be a fantastic choice for the role.

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, Romano added that the Red Devils are yet to make a decision regarding their pursuit of the 22-year-old.

"Let's see what Man United will decide to do internally. They have still not decided whether they want to proceed or not (with Inacio), so it's really early stages," said Romano.

He continued:

"It's about the appreciation for the player and also the number of centre-backs they want to bring in, because for sure, they need a right-footed centre-back in the summer transfer window - that is going to be one of the priorities."

He concluded:

"Goncalo Inacio is left-footed. So in that case, it could be one more centre-back in case someone is going to leave. So let's see what they decide to do in terms of the balance of the defence. But for sure, he is one of the players they've been scouting and monitoring."

Inacio is under contract with the Portuguese club until 2027 and has been linked with Liverpool as well.

Manchester United plan player-plus-cash deal for Marc Guehi

Marc Guehi
Marc Guehi

Manchester United are planning to offer Aaron Wan-Bissika to sweeten a deal for Marc Guehi this year, according to TEAMtalk. The Crystal Palace defender is a wanted man this summer after a series of assured performances at Selhurst Park.

The Red Devils want a new defender and had previously identified Everton's Jarrad Branthwaite as their priority target. However, they have balked at the Toffee's £70 million asking price for the 21-year-old and are seeking cheaper alternatives.

Guehi has popped up on their radar and the club are now planning to include Wan-Bissaka as part of their offer for the 23-year-old. Crystal Palace have been linked with a return for their former player and could be open to such an arrangement. The Eagles want above £65 million to let Guehi go, although Wan-Bissaka's inclusion is likely to reduce that figure.

The 26-year-old has reached the end of the road at Old Trafford and is expected to be on the move this summer. His contract with the club expires in 2025 and a return to Selhurst Park could help Wan-Bissaka resurrect his career.

Quick Links

Edited by Aditya Singh
App download animated image Get the free App now