Chickens were introduced to the island in Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6. Their original purpose was to provide bones as a crafting resource for players to mod their weapons. However, over time, their utility shifted from crafting to mobility. This has remained a constant in-game to date.
For the Avian Ambush Challenge Week, Epic Games wants players to catch three chickens in different matches. Those who manage to complete the task will be rewarded with 20,000 XP. Here's how to go about the task easily.
A step-by-step on how to catch a chicken in different matches in Fortnite
1) Land in areas of the map where chickens are plentiful
To find chickens in Fortnite, the first thing players will want to do is land in and around POIs/landmarks that have a high concentration of wildlife. A few good locations are:
- East of Greasy Grove
- Entirety of the desert biome
- Fort Jonesy
Although chickens are concentrated in locations that are Chrome-free, a few can be found in and around Chromed POIs, such as Flutter Barn and Lustrous Lagoon.
As always, before attempting challenges, it's a wise decision to gear up and get ready for the early-game stages of the match. This will ensure that any opponents that players meet along the way can be dealt with swiftly and effortlessly.
2) Find a chicken and approach it slowly
After gearing up, the next step is to find a chicken. Depending on the spawn location and the area in which players decide to land, it shouldn't take too long to run into one.
Once a chicken has been found, players have to approach the situation delicately. Given that chickens can outrun players when not sprinting, it's best to get as close as possible to one before running to catch it.
3) Once in range, sprint and catch the chicken using the interaction key/button
Once in range, players should sprint directly towards the chicken and use the interaction button to catch it. If players time it well, they should be able to catch a chicken on their first try. If not, they can wait for it to stop running and restart the process.
To ensure that the odds of success are higher, players who are fast at building and can crank out 90s rapidly should build walls around the chicken to stop it from escaping. Once the walls have been erected, players can create a door, enter the structure, and catch a chicken at their own leisure.
A total of three chickens will need to be caught to complete this Avian Ambush Challenge. Players will have to repeat the process two more times over the course of two or more matches to earn XP.
For players unsure of which key to use in order to interact and catch the chicken, here's an easy mini-guide to clear any doubts:
- Launch Fortnite and loot for the icon with three horizontal lines at the top-left corner of the screen
- Click on it and select the icon with three horizontal lines and a cog-wheel in it.
- Press on the icon, and go to Settings.
- Keyboard and mouse players can find the keyboard controls tab under the eighth icon in the settings menu. Controller players can find the controller controls tab under the ninth icon in the settings menu
- Once at their respective tabs, players can double-check the interact button or remap it if needed.
Note: Be sure to apply the changes before exiting the tab or else they will not take effect.