McLaren's Kevin Magnussen tops day 1 of testing
McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen topped the first day of the young drivers test, where F1 drivers are given limited running, in Silverstone on Wednesday.
The Danish driver, whose father Jan raced for the McLaren team back in 1995, set the pace with a lap time of 1:33.602. He put in a total of 100 laps and set the best lap on medium tyres.
He was followed by Force India’s Paul Di Resta, who was only one of the two regular Formula 1 drivers to feature on the opening day. Red Bull’s Antonio Felix da Costa was 3rd fastest. Force India’s young driver James Calado set the fastest time in the morning and finished 4th overall.
Max Chilton was the other F1 driver to feature on today’s timesheets. He finished 12th overall.
Williams’s Daniel Juncadella and Caterham’s Alexander Rossi had a frustrating day as their running was cut down by problems.
Unofficial Wednesday test times from Silverstone:
1. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, 1:33.602, 100 laps
2. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:33.774, 58 laps
3. Antonio Felix da Costa, Red Bull, 1:33.821, 82 laps
4. James Calado, Force India, 1:33.986, 27 laps
5. Daniel Juncadella, Williams, 1:34.098, 55 laps
6. Johnny Cecotto Jr, Toro Rosso, 1:34.193, 75 laps
7. Robin Frijns, Sauber, 1:34.236, 72 laps
8. Nicolas Prost, Lotus, 1:34.810, 72 laps
9. Davide Rigon, Ferrari, 1:34.874, 76 laps
10. Alexander Rossi, Caterham, 1:35.651, 69 laps
11. Tio Ellinas, Marussia, 1:36.676, 36 laps
12. Max Chilton, Marussia, 1:38.347, 27 laps