Newcastle boss Alan Pardew blamed the debacle of Newcastle’s performance in the opening fixture against Manchester City on Arsenal’s desperate bid for Yohan Cabaye, but if the performance on that night with absence of Frenchmen is a sign of things to come, Newcastle will be in for another tough season.
On the other hand, West Ham have built their side around strong English presence in form of Nolan, Jarvis, Downing and Cole. They were impressive in their first match with a victory against newly promoted Cardiff City.
The match will also see both Alan Pardew and Sam Allardyce managing against their former clubs. Pardew had a three year spell at Upton Park, where he led the club to promotion from the Championship and to an FA Cup final in way back in 2006. Meanwhile, Allardyce left Newcastle after only eight months in charge back in 2008.
Let’s have a look at what the stats have to offer for Newcastle United vs West Ham United
- Monday’s drubbing was Newcastle’s heaviest opening-day defeat in the top flight since 1988. The previous record was a 0-4 loss against Everton.
-Newcastle have failed to score in 5 of their last 7 matches in the Premier League.
- Newcastle have lost their last 3 home matches in the Premier League.
- Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse has now gone eight games without a Premier League goal. The last time Cisse was on the scoresheet was against Fulham in April 2013.
- West Ham won at St James’ Park for the first time in 10 attempts last season, with ex-Magpie Nolan scoring the match-winner.
- Sam Allardyce’s West Ham were the only side that managed to keep a clean sheet both home and away against Newcastle United in the Premier League last season
- West Ham have failed to win 13 of their last 14 away matches in the Premier League.
- Kevin Nolan of West Ham has scored in three of the last four Premier League encounters between these two sides, although two of those goals came for Newcastle United.Published 24 Aug 2013, 15:47 IST