An alleged family member of late rapper Big Scarr has come forward to claim that the singer died from drug overdose. The up-and-coming artist was at his girlfriend’s residence in Memphis, Tennessee, when he passed away on Thursday. Law enforcement continue to investigate the shocking death.
In an interview with TMZ, Arthur Woods, the singer’s uncle, claimed that his nephew died after overdosing on prescription pills. Woods went on to add that he was unsure as to how the 22-year-old obtained the drugs.
He also mentioned that the rapper suffered from traumatic experiences in his life that led to him battling depression. Sources claimed that the death of Big Scarr’s beloved grandmother played a role in his mental health crisis.
Arthur Woods also revealed that Scarr nearly died after being shot at in 2020. A bullet hit his spine, which resulted in him having to undergo surgery to remove his appendix. The uncle shared that this might have also played a role in his untimely death.
Scarr was also reportedly struggling mentally after he sustained injuries in a serious car crash in which he was thrown through the vehicle’s windshield. He ended up sustaining a scar on his body, which resulted with the singer giving himself the stage name, Big Scarr.
Netizens speculate Big Scarr died from overdosing on painkiller medication
Following the announcement of the Make A Play rapper’s death, several netizens believe that the rapper died from overdosing on Percocet, a prescription painkiller. Twitter page @GOTCITYTEA was one among several social media pages that alleged that the singer died from overdosing on the pill. In the tweet, they wrote:
“Big Scarr overdosed on percs in front of his girlfriend.”
As speculation about the rapper consuming Percocet went viral online, other netizens believed that the singer swallowed fake medication. Tweets on the same read:
The Drug Enforcement Administration found that four of every 10 fake pills contain a lethal dose of fentanyl. Although law enforcement has not confirmed the data, it is possible that the singer may have overdosed on fentanyl that was present in the prescription pills. As investigation into Scarr’s passing continued, they found that there were no signs of foul play.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, fentanyl's description reads:
“A powerful synthetic opioid that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. It is a prescription drug that is also made and used illegally. Like morphine, it is a medicine that is typically used to treat patients with severe pain, especially after surgery.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fentanyl is 100 times more potent than morphine, and several times more than heroin.
Everything to know about Big Scarr
Big Scarr, whose real name is Alexandre Woods, grew up in the Magnolia community of South Memphis. He entered the music industry with the release of his 2019 track, Make A Play, which grew in popularity on YouTube.
He went on to get signed to Gucci Mane’s record label, 1017 Records, in 2020. The following year, he dropped his mixtape Grim Reaper, which peaked at the 25th spot on the Billboard 200 chart. The singer collaborated with industry big-names including Gucci Mane, Foogiano, Baby K, Enchanting, and Tay Keith among others for the album.
Earlier this year, Big Scarr dropped his deluxe edition, Big Grim Reaper: The Return.