Return of the King?January brings with it a lot of mid-season crisis as well as solutions. The transfer mill is expected to be the same this time around with many seeking reinforcements and many seeking a new beginning.There has been a buzz around many players and clubs, with players seeking moves away from their respective clubs for various reasons from playing time to better contracts. Nonetheless, the January window is poised to give us some interesting news. Here are the transfer news and rumours for the day.
#1 Serie A
- Giuseppe Rossi is most likely to leave Fiorentina in January according to his agent. Rossi has been trying to break into the team after recovering from injuries.
“The club has realised it cannot keep hold of the lad because he wants to play," Pastorello told Radio Marte on Wednesday. “He will 99 percent leave Fiorentina in January." Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero has expressed his interest in taking the player on loan.
- Inter are poised to sign Jonathan Calleri from Boca Juniors. “The negotiations are very far advanced, but it's a very difficult decision,” the player told TyC Sports. “Almost everything's done from Boca's side – it's just up to me now to reach an agreement.”
- Yohan Benalouane is reportedly keen on making a return to the Serie A with Sampdoria according to Sky Sports. The defender has struggled to make an impact at Leicester City after joining them in the summer.
#2 La Liga
- Premier league giants Manchester City are reportedly planning to launch a bid to try and lure Barcelona star Lionel Messi. The rumour grabbed pace when Messi’s national teammate Willy Caballero recently admitted that City can still sign the player.
- Barcelona youngster Gerard Gumbau is set to join Malaga on loan in January. According to COPE, Barcelona see Gumbau's future at the Camp Nou but are keen to send the Spaniard on loan in January, with Malaga touted as the favourites.
The player currently plays for Barcelona B and has made eight appearances for the senior team under Luis Enrique.
- Real Madrid star Isco is considering his future at the Bernabeu after a fallout with Rafa Benitez. According to AS, Isco's relationship with Benitez is beyond repair and the former Malaga playmaker will seek new pastures next month if there is no change of head coach at the capital club.
#3 English Premier League
- Chelsea are reportedly going to launch a bid to secure the services of Real Madrid star James Rodriguez. Interim manager Guus Hiddink has apparently given green light to sign the Colombian in January according to Fichajes.
The club are also trying to bring back Didier Drogba from MLS side Montreal Impact with contract negotiations underway.
- Ronald Koeman has warned Arsenal and Tottenham they cannot use back channels to prise Victor Wanyama away from Southampton in January.
“They can prepare whatever they like to prepare,” Koeman said of rumours rival clubs are lining up January bids for Wanyama. “Don't spend time trying to buy a player from Southampton because it's impossible.”
- Liverpool are reportedly interested in Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre Ter Stegen. According to Marca, Ter Stegen has grown increasingly frustrated at Barcelona, for whom he has made just four La Liga appearances in 18 months. He has been used only in the cup ties by Luis Enrique with Claudio Bravo preferred in La Liga games.
#4 Rest of Europe
- LA Galaxy are in talks with former England international Ashley Cole, according to the Irish Sun. After leaving Premier League side Chelsea in the summer of 2014, Cole made just 13 league and cup appearances with AS Roma during the 2014/15 campaign.
- CSKA Moscow want to make Seydou Doumbia's move from AS Roma permanent in the summer. General manager Roman Babaev said talks were ongoing according to Russia's Tass news agency.
“Doumbia's situation is still being assessed,” he said. “We are in constant contact with Roma, but the Giallorossi cannot yet make their minds up on Seydou's future.”
- Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda has declined to play down the possibility of a January move to Aston Villa. RMC is reporting that Villa manager Remi Garde will attempt to sign Mandanda and Bordeaux forward Wahbi Khazri, in a bid to save their Premier League status. Villa are currently bottom of the table with just 7 points.