WWE Backlash is just upon us and in the midst of all the hype surrounding Smackdown’s first brand-exclusive PPV, WWE took its entourage to the land of the Red Dragon, China.
WWE looked to make a long-lasting impression in a market that’s relatively obscure to their business activities by putting together a solid show at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai. Top names such as John Cena, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Big Show, Charlotte and Sasha Banks were part of the event that also witnessed the unveiling of China’s very own talents recently signed to WWE’s Performance Centre.
WWE’s very first acquisition from China, Bin Wang, made his WWE live event debut against Bo Dallas in an extensively hyped match. The build of the the bout included Bo Dallas’s return to WWE TV in a squash match this past week on RAW. All in all the event was a successful outing for the biggest wrestling promotion in the world in the highest populated country in the world.
Here are the quick results from the live event held on Saturday, 10th September 2016:
- Cesaro def. Sheamus. We still aren’t sure whether this was part of the on-going Best Of Seven Series that Sheamus currently leads 3-1.
- Neville def. Curtis Axel. As expected the man that gravity forgot went over Curtis Axel and wowed the crowd with his ever so pleasing finisher, The Red Arrow.
- Tian Bin (a/k/a Bin Wang) def. Bo Dallas. This was impressive beginning to the WWE career for Bin Wang in front of his home crowd as he beat former NXT Champion Bo Dallas.
- Braun Strowman def. Goldust. The monster heel of the WWE took his destructive streak over to China as he walked over Goldust and continued his dominant run as an absolute beast.
- New Day def. Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows and The Shining Stars in a Triple Threat to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. A fun triple threat match for the tag team titles that saw the Champions retain in a predictable fashion.
- John Cena def. Big Show. A match that would have been a snoozefest on TV, was a decent fixture on the card for the Chinese fans as both the veterans put on a decent match.
- Charlotte def. Sasha Banks to retain the WWE Women’s Championship. Charlotte relived scenes from SummerSlam as the Fair scion retained her Women’s Championship against The Boss, Sasha Banks in a solid match.
- Roman Reigns def. Chris Jericho. The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla went up against The Big Dog in a match that is rumoured to be featured on the Clash Of Champions match card.
- Kevin Owens beat Sami Zayn and Seth Rollins in a Triple Threat to retain the WWE Universal Championship. The match of the night saw three of the best talents of the company bring the roof down with a solid outing. KO unsurprisingly retained his title aginst his old foe Sami Zayn and Clash Of Champions opponent Seth Rollins.