Max-Morlock-Stadion is a football stadium in Nuremberg, Germany. Opened in 1928, the stadium is located next to Zeppelinfeld.
Since 1966, it has been home stadium to the German Bundesliga club 1.FC Nürnberg. The capacity of the stadium is 50,000 for league matches and 44,308 for international matches. The construction cost to build the stadium is 56.2 million euros.
The stadium was originally known as Stadtisches Stadion before it was renamed to Victory Stadium in 1945. After almost 16 years, it again returned to its original name for 30 more years when it received another name Frankenstadion.
After a sponsorship deal with a German bank, the stadium was renamed as easyCredit-Stadion on 14th March, 2006.
A series of name changes of the stadium continued after it got new sponsor on 14th February 2013, when the stadium was renamed Grundig Stadion after a sponsorship deal with Grundig.
After the city of Nuremberg could not find a new sponsor, the name of the stadium was changed back to Stadion Nuremberg in July 2016. The stadium's name officially became Max-Morlock-Stadion from 1st July 2017.
Max-Morlock-Stadion hosted six football matches during the 1972 Summer Olympics. In 1967, it hosted the European Cup Winners Cup final between Rangers and Bayern Munich.
Five games of the 2006 FIFA World Cup were hosted in this stadium which also included the Battle of Nuremberg comprising of match between Netherlands and Portugal.
In the 1930s, the stadium and surroundings became an important rally ground of the Nazi Party and in particular the Hitler Youth.
The stadium was renovated many times to meet the requirements for football in Bundesliga. The capacity of the stadium was increased to about 75,00 by 1971 due to expansion of the stadium.
The city of Nürnberg passed on the chance to further modernise the stadium and become a host city of the 1974 FIFA World Cup.
It underwent a large redevelopment between 1987 and 1991, which included the construction of a roof, but also reduced capacity to just over 50,000.
The stadium was again renovated just before the 2006 FIFA World Cup.