When Nincada, the pre-evolved form of Shedinja, was added into Pokemon GO, many players wondered if Shedinja would be obtainable as it could only be found by having an empty Poke Ball and an available slot in your party when Nincada evolved in the main series games.
How to Get Shedinja in Pokemon GO
As of writing, Shedinja cannot currently be captured in Pokemon GO. However, Shedinja was previously available through research breakthroughs during the Halloween event in 2020.
As for the ways that Niantic could incorporate ways to get Shedinja in the future, there are a few ways they could do this:
- Seasonal Evolution - Shedinja could be an evolution exclusive to the autumn season
- Random Evolution - Much like how Eevee evolves, Nincada could evolve to be either Ninjask or Shedinja. This evolution could be dictated with a certain nickname.
- Spawn after Evolution - After the player evolves their Nincada, a Shedinja could spawn nearby
- Let the player choose - A simple option. Let the player choose what they want to evolve their Nincada into.
For trainers looking for ways to use their Shedinja in raids or competitive League Battles when it inevitably returns, here is some helpful information to keep in mind:
- Shedinja is a Bug and Ghost type Pokemon
- Shedinja is the only Pokemon with a stamina stat of 1
- Shedinja has an attack stat of 153 and a defense stat of 73
- Shedinja is weak against Fire, Rock, Ghost, Dark, and Flying type attacks
- Shedinja takes less damage from Grass, Ground, Bug, Poison, Normal, and Fighting type attacks
- Shedinja has a maximum combat power value of 393
- Shedinja's best moves are Shadow Claw and Aerial Ace
In summary, Shedinja is not currently available to be captured and will most likely be a seasonal Pokemon. While Shedinja may not be good for battles, it is a valuable Pokemon to add to any trainer's collection due to its limited availability.