Abandoned villages (also known as zombie villages) are a rare occurrence in Minecraft. These villages are completely run-down and empty, with all of the previous inhabitants turning into zombie villagers. One can assume that these villages were overrun by zombies, turning a once bustling city into a barren wasteland.
As seen in the image above, abandoned villages have obvious visual differences to the regular village. The first thing a player will notice are the obtrusive cobwebs that seem to cover every structure found in the village. This shows that these villages have been abandoned for a very long time.
Everything players need to know about abandoned villages in Minecraft
Abandoned villages spawn exactly the same as regular villages in Minecraft. In fact, an abandoned village has a rare chance to take over the spawning of a regular village.
More specifically, in the Java Edition an abandoned village has a 2% chance to spawn in place of a regular village. This chance is significantly increased to 25%-30% in the Bedrock Edition. The reasons for this are unclear, however this can be a blessing or a curse depending on what the player is looking for.
Abandoned Village Features
Abandoned villages have some unique features not seen in the regular villages. These features are:
- All villagers spawned in an abandoned village will be zombie villagers
- All doors and light sources are not generated
- The zombie villagers will not despawn
- The zombie villagers will stay in the shade until night, as they are not immune to the sun
- Most cobblestone blocks are replaced with mossy cobblestone
- Many blocks will be replaced with cobwebs. It is most common for wood to be replaced with cobwebs
- All glass panes are replaced with brown stained glass panes, to give an abandoned and unkempt vibe
- Stray cats can be found in abandoned villages
- Iron Golems cannot be found in abandoned villages, for obvious reasons
- Abandoned villages have more buildings (on average) than regular villages
The video above showcases a Minecraft YouTuber (PaulGG) who decided to change an abandoned village back into a regular village.