Rishi Dhawan: All you need to know about the Indian all-rounder
Rishi Dhawan made his first-class debut for Himachal Pradesh as a 19-year old in the 2009/10 Ranji Trophy.
All-rounder Rishi Dhawan, who made his international debut on India's last tour to Australia, is a part of the Indian squad which is currently touring Zimbabwe. Dhawan is a right-handed batsman and right-arm medium pace bowler by trade and has enjoyed a lot of success in Indian domestic cricket. The youngster has also played in the IPL but has not been able to make much of an impact so far. He will be looking at the Zimbabwe tour as an opportunity to impress the selectors.
Here are 10 things that you should know about the Indian all-rounder:
1) Rishi Dhawan was born on 19 February 1990 in the Mandi town of Himachal Pradesh. His father works as an air conditioner mechanic and he left home in the year 2011 in search of cricketing success.
2) He grew up idolising Sachin Tendulkar and started his cricketing career as a lower middle-order batsman before taking up medium pace bowling.
3) Dhawan first made news as a 16-year old in 2006 as he scored 340 for the Himachal Pradesh Under-19 team in the Cooch Behar Trophy. In 2007, he made his T20 debut against Delhi in the Inter State Twenty-20 tournament.
4) The 26-year old began his first-class career in the 2009/10 Ranji Trophy season. He has easily one of the top all-rounders in the Indian domestic circuit with 2165 first-class runs at an average of just under 41 and 220 wickets including 17 five-wicket hauls.
5) Rishi Dhawan was the star performer for Himachal Pradesh in back-to-back Ranji seasons. In the 2013/14 Ranji Trophy, the all-rounder scored 435 runs and picked up a staggering 49 wickets in just 8 matches. In the following season, he scored 287 runs and was his team's leading wicket-taker with 40 wickets.
6) He has also played 58 List-A games in his 9-year long domestic career, scoring more than 1000 runs at an average of 37.73 and grabbing 74 wickets.
7) As an 18-year old, Dhawan was picked to represent the Kings XI Punjab franchise in the very first IPL. However, he lost his place in the squad with the team management deciding to trim it down.
8) The youngster played his first IPL in the year 2013 as a part of the Mumbai Indians side alongside his idol Sachin Tendulkar.
9) Kings XI Punjab spent a whopping Rs 3 crore in the 2014 IPL auction to acquire the services of the Himachal Pradesh all-rounder and he has been playing for them ever since.
10) Dhawan has played just 3 ODI matches so far, all of them against Australia, in which he scored 12 runs and was able to claim just 1 wicket.