- Hobart Hurricanes History
- Administration and Support Staff
- Hobart Hurricanes 2020 Squad - Players to Watchout
- Team Sponsors
- Fan Base
- Hobart Hurricanes in Numbers
- Performance over the years
- Hobart Hurricanes FAQs
PROMINENT PLAYERS - David Miller, James Faulkner, Matthew Wade, Sandeep Lamichhane, George Bailey, D'Arcy Short
CAPTAIN - Matthew Wade
AMBASSADOR(S) - NA
LOGO - Purple emblem depicting hurricane with Hobart Hurricanes written across
JERSEY - Purple Kit
TEAM ANTHEM - Team Song written by Tim Paine and sung to the tunes of When Johnny Comes Marching Home
MAJOR RIVALS - Perth Scorchers, Sydney Sixers
The Hobart Hurricanes is a franchise cricket team based in Hobart. The Hobart Hurricanes participate in the Big Bash League, Australia's domestic T20 tournament. The Tasmanian based franchise was founded in 2011. The team has Bellerive Oval a.k.a. Blundstone Arena and University of Tasmania Stadium a.k.a. York Park, for its home grounds. The team is currently led by Matthew Wade. Hobart Hurricanes have won zero BBL titles so far.
Hobart Hurricanes History
- Hobart Hurricanes was founded.
- Xavier Doherty was named the captain of the side.
- Hobart Hurricanes played exceptionally well in the first edition and finished 3rd in the tournament.
- It was a disappointing edition for the Hobart Hurricanes as they finished at 6th place.
- After an exciting tournament, the Hobart Hurricanes fell inches short of winning the third edition of Big Bash League and finished second. They lost to Perth Scorchers by 39 runs in the finals.
- Hobart Hurricanes failed to qualify for the Playoff stages and finished fifth after winning just three out of their eight games.
- Winning just three out of their eight league games, the Hobart Hurricanes found themselves at the bottom of the table, at 7th place.
- It was the second consecutive edition of BBL, when Hobart Hurricanes lost five games out of eight to finish seventh again.
- After a brilliant performance in the league stage, the BBL Trophy remained elusive for the Hobart Hurricanes as they lost in the finals to Adelaide Strikers by 25 runs and finished second in the tournament.
- Hobart Hurricanes finished third in the eighth edition of the Big Bash League.
- After a decent performance in the league stages , Hobart Hurricanes reached and lost in the playoffs and finished fourth.
Administration and Support Staff
Head Coach: Adam Griffith
Senior Assistant Coach: Jeff Vaughan
Alliteration de Winter
Hobart Hurricanes 2020 Squad - Players to Watchout
#1. D'Arcy Short
D'Arcy Short is one of the main players of the Hobart Hurricanes squad. With 1764 runs, D'Arcy Short is the highest scorer for the Hobart Hurricanes squad. D'Arcy Short's form would be crucial for a successful campaign for the Hobart Hurricanes in the 2020-21 edition of the Big Bash League.
#2. David Miller
David Andrew Miller is perhaps one of the major overseas players for the Hurricanes. Hurricanes secured the services of David Miller in the 2019-20 season for the first time. And if 'Killer' Miller gets going, he can murder the ball on any given day.
#3. James Faulkner
James Faulkner is perhaps one of the most successful all-rounders playing in the Big Bash League. The 30- year old Tasmanian is best known for his deadly skills with the ball and aggressive little cameos in the middle order. He also has a fair share of experience to ball in the death overs.
#4. George Bailey
Former Australian captain, George Bailey, though not the youngest, is certainly one of the key players in the Hobart Hurricanes line-up. The Tasmanian cricketer joined the Hurricanes during the 2012-13 season and has been an integral part of the team ever since. Bailey brings a ton of experience to the table and his mentorship can also turn out to be crucial for the younger players in the team.
#5. Matthew Wade
Captain of the side, Matthew Wade is an excellent wicket-keeper batsman. He was made the captain of the Hobart Hurricanes in 2018-19 after the management decided to let George Bailey to step down from the position so that the latter could focus on his batting skills. Wade has been an excellent leader for the Hurricanes.
#5. Sandeep Lamichhane
The 20 year old spin wizard from Nepal, Sandeep Lamichhane is a genuine wicket-taker. Having played all around the world in T20 leagues, Sandeep is one of the most sought after bowlers. The mystery spinner is one of the newest additions to the Hobart Hurricanes and was signed in November 2020.
Hobart Hurricanes have partnered up with Tassal: Tasmanian Salmon as their title sponsor. The company is more than 30 years old and is Australia’s largest producer of Tasmanian grown Atlantic Salmon. Among other major partners are the chocolate company ‘Cadbury’, LION- one of Australia's largest Food and Beverage company, The Blundstone Group, Wilson Security, Hydro Tasmania, The Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania, Coca Cola, Kookaburra, The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel, Masuri, Southern Cross Austereo and University of Tasmania.
The official Instagram handle of Hobart Hurricanes has over 112k followers. On YouTube the official Hobart Hurricanes account has tremendous support from their fans and subscribers. Hobart Hurricanes' Facebook page is also very active with regular updates and uploads.
Check the 2020-21 Hobart Hurricanes fixtures here.
Hobart Hurricanes in Numbers
Most Runs: D'Arcy Short: 1764 runs
Most Centuries: D'Arcy Short: 2
Most Fifties: D'Arcy Short: 17
Best Batting Average: D'Arcy Short: 46.42
Best Strike Rate: Matthew Wade: 150.94
Most Sixes: D'Arcy Short: 71
Most Fours: D'Arcy Short: 169
Highest Individual Score: Matthew Wade: 130*
Most Wickets: Cameron Boyce: 43
Best Economy: Xavier Doherty: 7.25
Best Bowling Figures: Daniel Christian: 4-14-5
Best Bowling Average: Naved-ul-Hasan: 17.00
Most Runs Conceded: Shaun Tait : 4-56-0
Most 4 Wickets: Daniel Christian : 2
Highest Score: 223/8 v Melbourne Renegades
Lowest Score: 91/10 v Sydney Sixers
Performance over the years
|Year||Result||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win %|
|2012-13||6th||Tim Paine||260||Ben Laughlin||14||50.00%|
|2013-14||Runner-up||Ben Dunk||395||Ben Laughlin||14||44.44%|
|2014-15||5th||Ben Dunk||175||Ben Laughlin||13||37.50%|
|2015-16||7th||George Bailey||240||Adil Rashid||16||37.50%|
|2016-17||7th||George Bailey||247||Daniel Christian||9||37.50%|
|2017-18||Runner-up||D'Arcy Short||572||Jofra Archer||16||50.00%|
|2018-19||3rd||D'Arcy Short||637||James Faulkner||18||66.67%|
|2019-20||4th||D'Arcy Short||357||Scott Boland||15||40.00%|
Hobart Hurricanes FAQs
Q. Who has scored the most runs for Hobart Hurricanes so far?
A. D'Arcy Short has scored a total of 1794 runs, the highest for Hobart Hurricanes so far.
Q. Who has taken the most number of wickets for the Hobart Hurricanes so far?
A. Cameron Boyce has the highest number of Wickets for the Hobart Hurricanes: 43.
Q. How many BBL titles does the Hobart Hurricanes have?
A. The Hobart Hurricanes haven't won a single BBL title so far. The closest they have come is to finish runner-up twice.