Ice is one of the most versatile blocks in Minecraft and comes in many forms. While there is a specific block named ice, this article will be going over each of the variants of the ice block since all of them have their own unique mechanics.
Ice can provide tons of uses for the player, with the most notable being the blue ice highway, which provides insanely fast travel when combined with a boat. All ice variants and some of their uses will be listed below.
Also read: How to create an automatic item sorter in the Minecraft 1.17 Caves & Cliffs update
Everything players need to know about ice in Minecraft
Obtaining Each Variant
As stated above, there are four different variants of ice in Minecraft. Many players are only familiar with three, however frosted ice is a situationally spawning ice and cannot be found naturally.
All four ice variants along with their spawns will be listed below:
- Ice: Found in most of the snowy biomes (frozen lakes, rivers, oceans). If water is placed in water in these biomes, it will transform into ice if cold enough.
- Packed Ice: Found in the rare ice spikes biome. Also generates in snowy tundra villages
- Blue Ice: Found at the bottom of icebergs and commonly in frozen ocean biomes, can also be crafted with nine packed ice
- Frosted Ice: Spawns when using Frost Walker enchanted boots. Cannot be obtained as an item.
Also read: Top 3 ways to protect items from being stolen in Minecraft
Uses of all Ice Variants
Each ice variant has its own uses. These uses will be listed below.
- Nine ice can be used to craft one Packed Ice
- Ice allows for faster travel on foot and via boat
- Ice can be used to create water when melted
- Nine packed ice can be used to craft one Blue Ice
- Packed Ice allows for faster travel on foot and via boat
- Packed Ice does not melt into water when placed near light sources
- Blue ice allows for the fastest travel on foot and via boat (aka blue ice highway)
- Blue ice can be used to create basalt when combined with soul soil
- Blue ice does not melt into water when placed near light sources
- Frosted ice allows players to walk on water via frost walker enchanted boots
- Frosted ice will disappear quickly after the player moves away from it
- Frost ice cannot be obtained, even with the silk touch enchantment
Also read: Flying machines in Minecraft: Everything Bedrock and Java Edition players need to know
The Minecraft video above demonstrates how boats interact with blue ice. It also goes over how to create a blue ice highway, which is an extremely efficient way to travel in all three dimensions.
Also read: How to utilize command blocks in the Minecraft 1.17 Caves & Cliffs update