Arena da Amazonia

Arena da Amazônia is a football stadium that was built to host 2014 FIFA World Cup. This stadium is located in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil and has a seating capacity of 44,300.

Arena da Amazonia is the home stadium for Nacional Football Club and is owned by Amazonas State Government.

This stadium was awarded "Stadium of the Year" in 2014 and it also won "European Steel Design Award 2015".

The stadium was designed by German architecture firm Gerkan, Marg and Partners. It is designed in such a way that its outer shell resembles a basket and the seats in the stadium are of the yellow-orange color that resembles fruits carried in the basket.

This stadium’s design was based to show the natural diversity of forms in the tropical rainforest and to create a simple but efficient Stadium that was ever constructed.

This stadium has higher temperature levels as it is located near the Equator. So, many of the players don’t prefer to play here. The stadium was designed to minimize the temperatures inside the structure with features such as a white, reflective exterior, plentiful shade over the seating areas, and a large number of ventilation openings.

Arena da Amazonia


Arena da Amazonia was built on the site of the old Vivaldo Lima Stadium. Its construction was started in 2010 and was completed by early 2014.

The 25% of its construction cost was paid by Amazonas State Government and the remaining 75% was paid by Brazilian Development Bank. The total expected cost of construction is around $669.5 million.

It is said that more than 95% of the material of the old stadium was recycled and was used in the construction of the new stadium.

The first match at this stadium was played between the home team Nacional FC and Clube do Remo on 9 March 2014.

Major Matches

During the 2016 Olympics, this stadium hosted various men's and women's football matches. The stadium hosted four games during the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Article image

Go to article
Fetching more content...
App download animated image Get the free App now