Captain - Virat Kohli
Vice Captain - AB de Villiers
Ambassador(s) - NA for 2021
Home : Red(Prominent)+Black+Gold
Away : Black(Prominent)+Red+Gold
Team Anthem - NA
Major Rivals - Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders
Logo - RCB changed their logo before IPL 2020, golden lion wearing a crown with Bangalore emblemed at the bottom along with the words Royal Challengers under it.
Table of Contents
- Administration and Support Staff
- Team Sponsors
- RCB - Batting Stats
- RCB - Bowling Stats
- RCB - Team Stats
- Fan Base
- Performance over the years
- RCB 2021 Squad - Players to Watch out
The Royal Challengers Bangalore a.k.a. RCB is a franchise cricket team based in Bangalore, which participates in the Indian Premier League. Royal Challengers Bangalore was founded in 2008 by United Spirits. The team has M. Chinnaswamy Stadium at Bangalore for its home ground. The team is currently led by the Captain of the Indian Cricket team, Virat Kohli. RCB has won zero IPL titles so far. RCB team 2021 is on their journey to redemption.
- Local boy, Rahul Dravid becomes the captain for the first season of IPL in 2008.
- RCB finishes seventh at the bottom of the table.
- RCB had a change of leadership in the form of the English captain, Kevin Pietersen.
- RCB comes very close to the title but finishes second.
- Anil Kumble becomes the captain in the third season.
- RCB again had an amazing tournament but they finished third.
- Major personnel changes in the major auction.
- Retain only one player, Virat Kohli, releasing all players into the auction pool.
- Major Buys buys : AB de Villiers, Dilshan and Zaheer Khan.
- Chris Gayle joined in later as a replacement for an injured Dirk Nannes.
- Daniel Vettori named captain.
- RCB finishes runner-up.
- Change of leadership midway through the tournament.
- Daniel Vettori stepped down willingly and handed over the captaincy duties to young Virat Kohli.
- RCB finished fifth for the fifth season.
- RCB have another uneventful season as they finish in fifth place second consecutive time.
- In 2014 the team bought Albie Morkel, Mitchell Starc, Ravi Rampaul, Parthiv Patel, Ashok Dinda, Muttiah Muralitharan, Nic Maddinson, Harshal Patel, Varun Aaron, Vijay Zol and Yuvraj Singh.
- The seventh IPL season saw RCB finishing in seventh place.
- In IPL 2015, RCB again had to face disappointment after playing so well as they finished 3rd.
- The 2016 edition was perhaps the most heartbreaking one for RCB.
- RCB's captain, Virat Kohli has a dream IPL with four centuries in the season.
- But yet again, the RCB squad and it's fans had to face despair as they finished runner-up.
- RCB finishes last at the 8th position.
- Another disappointing year as RCB finishes the season at the 6th place.
- RCB finished the season at the bottom of the table at 8th place.
- RCB qualified for the Playoffs as they finished 4th in the league stage. However, they were knocked out in the Eliminator by Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- RCB have added veteran superstars like Glenn Maxwell, Dan Christian and the young Kyle Jamieson from New Zealand to their squad for IPL 2021.
Administration and Support Staff
Team Director: Mike Hesson
Team And Cricket Operations Manager: Avinash Vaidya
Head Coach: Simon Katich
Batting Coach: Sanjay Bangar
Bowling Coach: Adam Griffith
Fielding Coach: NA
Bowling Talent Development and Analytics: Sports Mechanics
Strength and Conditioning Coach: Basu Shanker
Physiotherapist: Evan Speechly
Sports massage Therapist: Navnita Gautam
RCB has re-signed 'Muthoot Blue' as their title sponsor for IPL 2021. Muthoot Pappachan Group has businesses in financial services, vehicle dealerships, real estate and healthcare, among other sectors. The company is separate to the Muthoot Group that is title sponsoring the Chennai Super Kings, another IPL team, this season. However, both companies are offshoots of businesses started by entrepreneur Muthoot Ninan Mathai almost a 100 years ago.
Click here for RCB schedule 2021.
RCB - Batting Stats
Most Runs: Virat Kohli : 5878 runs
Most Centuries: Virat Kohli : 5
Most Fifties: Virat Kohli : 39
Fastest Fifty: Chris Gayle : 17 balls
Fastest Century: Chris Gayle : 30 balls
Best Batting Average: Gurkeerat Singh: 56.33
Best Strike Rate: Abu Nechim: 233.33
Most Sixes: Chris Gayle: 263
Most Fours: Virat Kohli : 548
Highest Individual Score: Chris Gayle : 175*
Highest Batting Partnerships by Wicket: Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers 229 runs for 2nd wicket.
RCB - Bowling Stats
Most Wickets: Yuzvendra Chahal: 121
Best Economy: Sachin Baby: 4.80
Best Bowling Figures: Anil Kumble : 5-5-3.1
Best Bowling Average: Sachin Baby: 4.00
Most Maidens: Ravi Rampaul: 4
Most Runs Conceded: Tim Southee : 4-61-0
Most 4 Wickets: Anil Kumble, Sreenath Aravind, Yuvzendra Chahal : 2
Most Hat-tricks: Praveen Kumar, Samuel Badree: 1
RCB - Team Stats
Highest Score: 263/5
Lowest Score: 49/10
Also see - IPL schedule 2021
Royal Challengers Bangalore probably has the most loyal fan base of all the teams in the IPL. Despite the disappointing and unsatisfactory performances by the team over the years, fans still support the franchise with all their heart. The Chinnaswamy stadium is always overflowing with the red colour and fans make it a point to turn up to support their team, no matter the results. Royal Challengers Bangalore call their fans the 'Bold Army', a name truly deserved. On every RCB home game, all you can hear are 'RCB….RCB' chants which fill up the entire stadium.
The official Instagram handle of RCB has over 5.6 million followers while their Twitter handle has 4.2 million followers. On YouTube the official Royal Challengers Bangalore account has over 2 million subscribers. Royal Challengers Bangalore's Facebook page is also very active with regular updates and uploads.
Performance over the years
|Year ||Captain||Result||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win%|
|2020||Virat Kohli||4th||Devdutt Padikkal||473||Yuzvendra Chahal||21||46.67 %|
|2019||Virat Kohli||8th||Virat Kohli||464||Yuzvendra Chahal||18||35.71%|
|2018||Virat Kohli||6th||Virat Kohli||530||Umesh Yadav||20||42.85%|
|2017||Virat Kohli/Shane Watson||8th||Virat Kohli||308||Pawan Negi||16||21.42%|
|2016||Virat Kohli||2nd||Virat Kohli||973||Yuzvendra Chahal||21||56.25%|
|2015||Virat Kohli||3rd||AB de Villiers||513||Yuzvendra Chahal||23||50.00%|
|2014||Virat Kohli||7th||AB de Villiers||395||Varun Aaron||16||35.71%|
|2013||Virat Kohli||5th||Chris Gayle||708||Vinay Kumar||23||56.25%|
|2012||Daniel Vettori/Virat Kohli||5th||Chris Gayle||733||Vinay Kumar||19||50.00%|
|2011||Daniel Vettori/Virat Kohli||2nd||Chris Gayle||608||Sreenath Arvind||21||62.50%|
|2010||Anil Kumble||3rd||Jacques Kallis||572||Anil Kumble||17||50.00%|
|2009||Kevin Pietersen/Anil Kumble||2nd||Jacques Kallis||361||Anil Kumble||21||56.25%|
|2008||Rahul Dravid||7th||Rahul Dravid||371||Zaheer Khan||13||28.57%|
RCB 2021 Squad - Players to Watch out
#1. Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli is undoubtedly the most feared cricketer in international cricket at the moment. And he certainly is the best in the business. King Kohli brings elegance and aggression in the perfect balance to the party. And if he gets going, there is simply no stopping him.
#2. AB de Villiers
Even after retiring from international cricket, AB de Villiers is unarguably one of the best when it comes to T20 cricket. AB has the reputation of taking the bowler for a ride all around the ground with his 360° hitting. We can surely expect him to light the stadiums up in IPL 2021.
#3. Yuzvendra Chahal
India's ace spinner, Yuzvendra Chahal is one of the key players of the RCB 2021 squad. With the ability to take wickets at crucial stages, Yuzi Chahal will surely trouble the batsman with his vicious bowling in this IPL just like every other IPL he has played so far.
#4. Kyle Jamieson
The tall Kiwi pacer, Kyle Jamieson, was bought by the Royal Challengers for a record INR 15 crores. The 26-year-old impressed one and all in the longest format of the game against West Indies in 2020 and a few game limited-overs games in early 2020. He will bring the X-factor with the ball to the team that has always lacked quality pacers.
#5. Devdutt Padikkal
Not a new addition to the RCB 2021 Squad, is the Karnataka opener Devdutt Padikkal. He showed his mettle to the world during IPL 2020, scoring more runs in the season than teammates Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers. He continued his rich form in the Vijay Hazare Trophy 2021 when he scored over 700 runs in 7 games at an average close to 150.
FAQs on Royal Challengers Bangalore
1) Which players did RCB retain before the 2021 auctions?
A. RCB retained the following players before the 2021 auction : Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers, Devdutt Padikkal, Josh Philippe, Shahbaz Ahmad, Kane Richardson, Adam Zampa, Harshal Patel, Pawan Deshpande, Navdeep Saini, Daniel Sams, Yuzvendra Chahal, Mohammed Siraj and Washington Sundar.
2) Who were the players released by RCB before the 2021 auctions?
A. RCB released the following players before the 2021 auction : Moeen Ali, Umesh Yadav, Shivam Dube, Gurkeerat Singh Mann, Pavan Negi, Aaron Finch, Parthiv Pate, Dale Steyn, Isuru Udana, Chris Morris
3) Who were the players bought by RCB in the 2021 auctions?
A. RCB bought the following players in the 2021 auction : Glenn Maxwell, Sachin Baby, Rajat Patidar, Mohammed Azharuddeen, Kyle Jamieson, Dan Christian, Suyash Prabhudesai, K Srikar Bharat
4) When is the first RCB match in IPL 2021?
A. The first match of RCB is on Friday, 9 April against team MI.