Captain - Eoin Morgan
Vice Captain - Not Announced
Ambassador(s) - Shah Rukh Khan
Jersey - Purple with accents of Gold
Theme Song - Korbo Lorbo Jeetbo
Major Rival(s) - Chennai Super Kings, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Mumbai Indians
Logo - A flaming Purple Knight's helmet with gold outline and the team name inscribed.
Table of Contents
- Administration and Support Staff
- Team Sponsors
- KKR - Batting Stats
- KKR - Bowling Stats
- Fan Base
- Kolkata Knight Riders Team Performance
- KKR Squad: Players to Watchout
- KKR FAQs
- Sourav Ganguly became captain of the Kolkata based franchise.
- The name of the team is a reference to the popular 1980s American television series Knight Rider.
- Brendon McCullum struck 158* against Royal Challengers Bangalore in the inaugural match of the first ever IPL.
- KKR could not repeat their first match heroics and ended the tournament in the 6th position.
- Sourav Ganguly was removed from captaincy.
- Brendon McCullum assumed the role of the captain.
- KKR had another miserable season finishing last this time.
- Sourav Ganguly was reinstated as the captain of the Knight Riders.
- And yet again the team finished sixth.
- Sourav Ganguly was sacked.
- This decision was highly criticised by fans.
- Delhi boy, Gautam Gambhir was brought in the major auction and was handed captainship responsibilities.
- KKR finished fourth after reaching the playoff stages for the first time.
- Sunil Narine starred throughout the season picking up 24 wickets as KKR seemed to have found their mojo.
- Under Gambhir, the Knight Riders lifted their first IPL Trophy.
- Although Narine repeated and piled on his heroics from the previous season picking up 22 wickets, something or the other went wrong for the Riders.
- KKR finished the tournament sixth, despite several great performances.
- Robin Uthappa and Sunil Narine starred in the league stages with former scoring 660 runs and the latter picking up 21 wickets.
- KKR defeated KXIP lifting the IPL trophy for the second time.
- With none of the big guns firing and the captain, Gambhir, having the worst form of his career, the Knights failed to defend their crown.
- KKR finished fifth.
- Although the Knights reached the playoffs , their advance was put to a halt and they finished fourth.
- Yet again, even after cruising their way to the playoffs, the Knights faced an upset in the second qualifier to exit the tournament third.
- Dinesh Karthik was appointed the captain of the team.
- KKR reached Qualifier 2 and lost the match out of the tournament.
- KKR finished 3rd.
- KKR began their season on high but lost six consecutive matches to lose that momentum.
- Another disappointing year as KKR finishes the season at the 5th place.
- KKR's recent additions before the 2020 IPL are- Pat Cummins, Eoin Morgan, Tom Banton, Pravin Tambe, Chris Green, M Siddharth, Varun Chakravarthy, Rahul Tripathi, Nikhil Naik.
Administration and Support Staff
CEO and Managing Director: Venky Mysore
Team & Cricket Operations Manager: NA
Head Coach: Brendon McCullum
Batting Coach: David Hussey
Bowling Coach: Kyle Mills
Fielding Coach: James Foster
Strength and Conditioning Coach: Chris Donaldson
Physiotherapist: Kamlesh Jain
Also see - IPL Records
Kolkata Knight Riders have never had any trouble finding sponsors, thanks to its Bollywood contacts. As of 2019, KKR had co-sponsorship deals with Jio, Lux Cozi, Exide, Royal Stag, Greenply and Asian Paints along with others. They also have partnerships with The Telegraph, Fever 104 FM, Ibibo, Sprite and Dream11.
KKR - Batting Stats
Most Runs: Robin Uthappa : 4411
Most Centuries: 0
Most Fifties: Robin Uthappa : 24
Fastest Fifty: Yusuf Pathan : 15 balls
Fastest Century: NA
Best Batting Average: Chris Lynn : 33.68
Best Strike Rate: Andre Russell : 369.23
Most Sixes: Robin Uthappa : 156
Most Fours: Robin Uthappa : 435
Highest Individual Score: Dinesh Karthik : 97*
KKR - Bowling Stats
Most Wickets: Piyush Chawla : 150
Best Economy: Sunil Narine : 6.67
Best Bowling Figures: Sunil Narine : 4-19-5
Best Bowling Average: Nathan Coulter-Nile : 19.97
Most Maidens: Sunil Narine : 3
Most Runs Conceded: Ryan McLaren : 4-60-2
Most 4 Wickets: Sunil Narine : 6
Most Hat-tricks: NA
Most Dot Balls: Piyush Chawla : 1109
Kolkata Knight Riders boasts the biggest Fan Base of all the IPL teams. Although most of it can be attributed to the involvement of the Bollywood Superstar Shah Rukh Khan, the team sure do have a certain charisma about it. Undoubtedly, KKR have always been the most glamorous of all teams earning themselves a loyal fan army over the years. From being underdogs in the first IPL season to one of the most cheered teams in the IPL, the Royals have sure come a long way. The Sawai Mansingh stadium looks like a sea of pink every time the Royals play there.
Also see: KKR 2020 Schedule
The official Instagram handle of RR has over 829K followers. On YouTube the official Rajasthan Royals account has over 91K subscribers. Rajasthan Royals' Facebook page of 4.1M followers is also very active with regular updates and uploads.
Kolkata Knight Riders Team Performance
|Year||Captain||Result||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win %|
|2019||Dinesh Karthik||5th||Andre Russell||510||Andre Russell||11||42.85%|
|2018||Dinesh Karthik||3rd||Dinesh Karthik||498||Kuldeep Yadav||17||56.30%|
|2017||Gautam Gambhir||3rd||Gautam Gambhir||498||Chris Woakes||17||57.14%|
|2016||Gautam Gambhir||4th||Gautam Gambhir||501||Andre Russell||15||53.33%|
|2015||Gautam Gambhir||5th||Robin Uthappa||364||Andre Russell||14||53.84%|
|2014||Gautam Gambhir||Winners||Robin Uthappa||660||Sunil Narine||21||68.75%|
|2013||Gautam Gambhir||6th||Gautam Gambhir||406||Sunil Narine||22||37.50%|
|2012||Gautam Gambhir||Winners||Gautam Gambhir||590||Sunil Narine||24||70.58%|
|2011||Gautam Gambhir||4th||Jacques Kallis||424||Yusuf Pathan||13||53.33%|
|2010||Sourav Ganguly||6th||Sourav Ganguly||493||Ashok Dinda||9||50%|
|2009||Brendon Mccullum||8th||Brad Hodge||365||Ishant Sharma||11||23.07%|
|2008||Sourav Ganguly||6th||Sourav Ganguly||349||Umar Gul||12||46.16%|
KKR Squad: Players to Watchout
#1. Andre Russell
Andre Russell is the star of KKR. He already established a record last season while he was on a batting rampage as he struck 52 big ones out of the park. Russell was also brilliant with the ball and won several games for the Knight Riders single-handedly. This IPL edition is going to be another opportunity for Russell to exhibit his prowess and perhaps take his team all the way over the line.
#2. Sunil Narine
At the helm of KKR players to watch out this season is another West Indian cricketer who has been an integral part of the Knight Riders franchise ever since he joined. Sunil Narine is one of KKR's ace bowler and has troubled batsmen for several seasons now. What has been a happy surprise for KKR, is his recent developing batting skills. Narine has been opening the batting for KKR and swinging it like there's no tomorrow.
#3. Dinesh Karthik
KKR's captain Dinesh Karthik brings in a lot of experience to the side along with his finishing skills. He is one of the most reputed finishers in the world and sure hits the ball a long way. Although his captaincy has been mediocre so far, he has been excellent behind the stumps.
#4. Shubman Gill
Shubman Gill is the personification of India's budding young talent. Shubman has been in and out of the Indian National cricket team recently. Shubman would surely like to seize this opportunity and earn himself a berth in the Indian Squad for World T20 later this year.
#5. Kuldeep Yadav
Kuldeep Yadav has stood the test of times. He has made an impact in the IPL for the Knights and proved himself on the larger World Stage. He has been leading the spin attack for India for quite a long time now and he surely is KKR's ace spinner.
1) Which players did KKR retain before the 2020 auctions?
A. KKR retained the following players before the 2020 auction : Dinesh Karthik, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, Kuldeep Yadav, Shubman Gill, Lockie Ferguson, Nitish Rana, Rinku Singh, Prasidh Krishna, Sandeep Warrier, Harry Gurney, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Shivam Mavi.
2) Who were the players released by KKR before the 2020 auctions?
A. KKR released the following players before the 2020 auction : Robin Uthappa, Chris Lynn, Piyush Chawla, Joe Denly, Yarra Prithviraj, Nikhil Naik, KC Cariappa, Matthew Kelly, Shrikant Mundhe, Carlos Brathwaite, Anrich Nortjen.
3) Who were the players bought by KKR in the 2020 auctions?
A. KKR bought the following players in the 2020 auction : Pat Cummins, Eoin Morgan, Tom Banton, Pravin Tambe, Chris Green, M Siddharth, Varun Chakravarthy, Rahul Tripathi, Nikhil Naik.